Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loft Help - Flow Loop Dwg

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
kstakes
986 Views, 7 Replies

Loft Help - Flow Loop Dwg

Hey all,

Fairly new to Inventor and any CAD software for that matter and thus learning the software as I use it.  I am currently working on a drawing of a flow loop test device and am running into trouble connecting some of the "duct work" pieces using the loft command.  The first picture below shows the overall drawing and where the connections are needed.  The next picture shows what I would like the connections to look like.  Once I hit "OK" on the loft I get the error message of:

Create loft feature failed
FlowLoop.ipt: Errors occurred during update
Loft4: Could not build this Loft
The attempted operation had problems trimming and discarding faces. Try with different inputs.

I have tried remaking the sketches which are used to make the connections with no luck there either.  Any help would be much appreciated.  The 3rd attached file is the .ipt of the drawing.

Thanks,

Keith

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: kstakes

You are sort of doing OK, but too much work.

I recommend start experimenting with multi-body solids as this will really end up being a solid.

You still model in one part file all the solid bodies - but then they will be pushed out to an assembly.

For your problem - Loft the inside curves as a Surface Body and then Thicken to the outside by the desired wall thickness.

Surface.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
kstakes
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the quick reply.  I appreciate the help with my current issue and tips for making future projects like this!

I have one follow up question.  Once this is complete and I go to create a new drawing, I notice the lofted portions of the piece do not show up.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Keith

Message 4 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: kstakes

Did you Thicken the surfaces into Solids?

Have you installed all Service Packs and Hot Fixes/Updates for 2012 (iProperties indicates the answer to that is No).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
kstakes

Thickening the surfaces took care of the visibility issue, thanks.

I have not installed any Service Packs or Hot Fixes/Updates to my knowledge.  What do these gain me and where can I find them?

Pardon my ignorance.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

Don't take this the wrong way - but this is how I found the site

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=autodesk+inventor+2012+service+pack

There is also are also documents explaining what these fix.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
JDMather

BTW - I was just looking at the feature in question and it looks like to me a Revolve might be appropriate (and more basic geometry) rather than Loft.  Just an idea - I didn't take time to investigate closely.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
kstakes

Got it, thanks for the help and quick turn around on replies.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report