Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
wolterh6
Message 1 of 36 (1,865 Views)
Accepted Solution

Loft between 3D sketch and normal sketch

1865 Views, 35 Replies
11-06-2011 09:05 PM

I have a cylinder on top of a curved surface; I want to make the cylinder land adaptively to the surface, so I projected the circular face of the cylinder in the surface, which ended up being a 3D sketch. I tried to loft a solid between both curves, but it always gives me errors. Some examples are:

• The attempted operation did not produce a meaningful result. Try with different inputs.
  • Multiple disjoint loops found in a profile section.

I have attached a test case.

I have had success when trying to do the same thing with curved surfaces in two dimensions only (e.g. extruding a 2D curve), but I think the error is produced since the curved face I am trying to use belongs to an elipsiod.

I don't understand.  A loft would simply create a cylinder.  So why not extrude the circle To or To Next?

or

If you really want a loft Split the sphere face with the 3D Sketch and then Loft.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 36 (1,839 Views)

Re: Loft between 3D sketch and normal sketch

11-07-2011 04:17 AM in reply to: wolterh6

I don't understand.  A loft would simply create a cylinder.  So why not extrude the circle To or To Next?

or

If you really want a loft Split the sphere face with the 3D Sketch and then Loft.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Active Contributor
wolterh6
Message 3 of 36 (1,814 Views)

11-07-2011 08:44 PM in reply to: wolterh6

Wow, now I feel really dumb. You did understand, but I thought those extruding methods could not adapt to surfaces :smileytongue: 

Your answer will be marked as solution.

Contributor
razortje777
Message 4 of 36 (1,765 Views)

11-23-2011 04:50 AM in reply to: JDMather

Hello everyone, I am new here but I've got exactly the same question. But in my drawing I need to make a loft between a 2D and a 3D sketch.

Unfortunately the topic starter solved his (same) problem at another way but in my example that's not possible.

(the previous answer that you can manage this with the option 'split' was not really clear for me...)

I am looking forward for your answers.

(I hope it is not a problem, that I put my question in his topic, but I thought it was ok cause of the relevance..)

Problem_with_loft_3Dsketch_to_2Dsketch.png

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 5 of 36 (1,758 Views)

11-23-2011 05:18 AM in reply to: razortje777

You would probably be better off using the 3D sketch to split the face and use that in your loft.

Find the red End of Part marker at the bottom of the browser.
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Attach the file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor
razortje777
Message 6 of 36 (1,751 Views)

11-23-2011 05:42 AM in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for your answer.

I don't understand yet the solution with the Split function, but I try to search it again on the internet.

I prefer not to publish my part on the internet yet, besides it is very big (14mb).

But in the beginning of this topic is a perfect example with an 'egg' ( Test case.ipt 212 KB )

When it will work there, then I guess it will work too with my drawing.

Hope you can explain it too with the 'egg example' to me.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 7 of 36 (1,748 Views)

11-23-2011 06:21 AM in reply to: razortje777

razortje777 wrote:

I prefer not to publish my part on the internet yet, besides it is very big (14mb).

Looking at your picture - I could make up a simple example concerning only the loft.   (looks like engine cylinder ports)

You should be able to attach a simplified example that exhibits all the behavior of your desired feature.

In the process of creating the example - you might even figure it out yourself.

You are going to need some guide rails or centerline curves and your profiles will work best if you have the same number of entitites in each.  For example a filleted rectangular profile has 8 enitities - the 4 lines and 4 fillets.

Contributor
razortje777
Message 8 of 36 (1,739 Views)

11-23-2011 07:07 AM in reply to: JDMather

I have got allready some rails (made unvisible in the drawing...), and it works fine when I connect the area at the bottom with the green area inside the cylinder.

But now I want something to connect with a 3D sketch area (yellow aera).

So that's the whole issue I think, because adding rails will work I hope. But for now... I only need to connect those 2 area's but Inventor will not allow that.

I have watched dozens of tutorials in youtube, but all of those have 2 straight 2D-sketches... none of them uses a 3D sketch area.

Meanwhile, I will try to simplify my drawing an upload it.

Thanks for the help allready! I appreciate that!!

Active Contributor
wolterh6
Message 9 of 36 (1,730 Views)

11-23-2011 08:18 AM in reply to: razortje777

I don't know if this is the correct approach - and if it isn't, I hope I get corrected - but lofting between a 3D sketch and a 2D sketch has always been impossible for me, I work it around my making another 3D sketch on the same plane as the 2D sketch which is simply a projection of all the curves that matter in the 2D sketch to the plane. In other words, is like converting a 2D sketch into a 3D sketch.

Then I loft and it works fine. 

Contributor
razortje777
Message 10 of 36 (1,726 Views)

11-23-2011 10:48 AM in reply to: wolterh6

I have tried it your way but I then I discover several problems. How do you deal with those?

1) I can not copy every 2D Sketch with a 3D Sketch because you only have 3 drawingtools: arc, line and spline. I can't draw a circle with it

2) How let I follow a 2D-curve with a 3D-curve? How can you make them exactly the same?

3) Even if I have two 3D-sketch area's... it still says an error that it is not possible to connect those two..

Isn't it possible to copy in someway a 2D sketch to a 3D sketch? If yes, then I have solved problem 1 + 2...

Thank you for sharing your option, but I hope there is, in someway, a better solution possible with Inventor 2012...

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.