Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
axa-61
Message 1 of 13 (398 Views)

LOD versus iAssemblies to manage assembly configurations

398 Views, 12 Replies
10-25-2012 09:40 AM

The LOD idea (Level Of Details) was originally introduced by AutoDesk to control visualization and system resources when deal with large assemblies. That happened probably for more than ten years ago. With modern PC technology you barely need to bother about system resources unless you really deal with SUPERLARGE assembly. In that case I would invest in super PC configuration and not use Inventor either. However for “normal” assemblies with let say 2-3 hundred parts system resources is not at least biggest issue.

Standard way in Inventor to deal with assembly configurations is  iAssemblies. I spend quite a time exercising on that future and even got some iParts/iAssemblies to work. But soon realized that for bigger assemblies/number of configurations it become far too complicated. Actually useless.

Idea to use LOD to manage assembly configuration was probably in the air from the day LOD was introduced. And became really attractive when iLogic came in play. Later AutoDesk occasionally introduced parts list  control by excluding suppressed components from the BOM.  After that LOD reappeared as a really nice and simple tool to manage assembly configuration. Straight forward and of course far less complicated then iAssemblies. And it really does the job! You even get right mass for assembly managed this way (excluding mass of suppressed parts)!

If AutoDesk could just fix “little” issue with LOD assembly drawings in a way that related dimensions and balloons sticks to LOD’s configuration it would be really nice and powerful tool.

Now the question is why AutoDesk keeps low profile on this issue reverting to Design View Representations, iAssemblies and other sophisticated workaround’s while straight forward, simple and efficient tool is just around the corner? 

Inventor 2013 SP2
Windows 7, 64 bits
RAM 18GB
Core TM2 Duo CPU 2,99 Gz
*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 2 of 13 (393 Views)

Re: LOD versus iAssemblies to manage assembly configurations

10-25-2012 10:47 AM in reply to: axa-61

Don't foget the famous problem of not being able to even touch an assembly file and a drawing file at the same time if there's a partslist involved.

Edit: Oh, and don't foget to mention that SolidWorks has had their "Configurations" for at least several years now.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Distinguished Mentor
swordmaster
Message 3 of 13 (383 Views)

10-25-2012 11:14 AM in reply to: mrattray

Not being able to open the drawing and the assembly at the same time is a huge shortfall.

Pro/E has had that figured out for at least 10 years probably longer

Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Contributor
axa-61
Message 4 of 13 (364 Views)

10-26-2012 02:43 AM in reply to: axa-61

Agree. Having LOD driven 3D model and assy drawing opened same time nothing but hassle. The worst thing for me with this issue was that being fascinated with iLogic possibilities I spent weeks to build up parameter driven assembly. 3 different models were gathered in one iLogic govern product configurator (appreciate help from this forum)… So what? Just to realize it is really little use of it without being able to manage drawings/parts lists for our production facilities.   

And now you saying that two biggest Inventor competitors SW and Pro/E had this solution for quite a while…

???

Is any AutoDesk employees/gurus here to comment this issue?

Inventor 2013 SP2
Windows 7, 64 bits
RAM 18GB
Core TM2 Duo CPU 2,99 Gz
Distinguished Mentor
swordmaster
Message 5 of 13 (354 Views)

10-26-2012 05:22 AM in reply to: axa-61

Cannot, speak for solidworks.

Suppressing components and managing drawings,parts lists and BOM's has never been a issue with Pro/E

Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Valued Contributor
machiel.veldkamp
Message 6 of 13 (351 Views)

10-26-2012 05:29 AM in reply to: axa-61

axa-61 wrote:

The LOD idea (Level Of Details) was originally introduced by AutoDesk to control visualization and system resources when deal with large assemblies. That happened probably for more than ten years ago. With modern PC technology you barely need to bother about system resources unless you really deal with SUPERLARGE assembly. In that case I would invest in super PC configuration and not use Inventor either. However for “normal” assemblies with let say 2-3 hundred parts system resources is not at least biggest issue.

Standard way in Inventor to deal with assembly configurations is  iAssemblies. I spend quite a time exercising on that future and even got some iParts/iAssemblies to work. But soon realized that for bigger assemblies/number of configurations it become far too complicated. Actually useless.

Idea to use LOD to manage assembly configuration was probably in the air from the day LOD was introduced. And became really attractive when iLogic came in play. Later AutoDesk occasionally introduced parts list  control by excluding suppressed components from the BOM.  After that LOD reappeared as a really nice and simple tool to manage assembly configuration. Straight forward and of course far less complicated then iAssemblies. And it really does the job! You even get right mass for assembly managed this way (excluding mass of suppressed parts)!

If AutoDesk could just fix “little” issue with LOD assembly drawings in a way that related dimensions and balloons sticks to LOD’s configuration it would be really nice and powerful tool.

Now the question is why AutoDesk keeps low profile on this issue reverting to Design View Representations, iAssemblies and other sophisticated workaround’s while straight forward, simple and efficient tool is just around the corner? 

Yeah so, the company I work for designs very large factories. And we all have pretty decent PC's and still Inventor is buggy with quite small assy's.

I do agree with you on all parts but I must say that autodesk has to step up their game. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Contributor
axa-61
Message 7 of 13 (344 Views)

10-26-2012 06:18 AM in reply to: swordmaster

Mike (not Matt) above confirms that SW sorted out this problem too :smileyhappy:

Inventor 2013 SP2
Windows 7, 64 bits
RAM 18GB
Core TM2 Duo CPU 2,99 Gz
Contributor
axa-61
Message 8 of 13 (338 Views)

10-26-2012 06:28 AM in reply to: machiel.veldkamp

To: machiel.veldkamp2

“Very Large Factories”... I guess you have a good reason not to use ArchiCAD for this purpose.:smileyhappy:  As far as I can judge your PC should be good enough even for big stuff. Another thing is when challenging Inventor with huge assemblies you must consider substitutes technique for subassemblies and complex parts. Otherwise you end up with Blue Gene/Q system supercomputer...which would be still not good enough

:smileysurprised:

Inventor 2013 SP2
Windows 7, 64 bits
RAM 18GB
Core TM2 Duo CPU 2,99 Gz
Valued Contributor
machiel.veldkamp
Message 9 of 13 (330 Views)

We design factories. Not buildings.

10-26-2012 06:52 AM in reply to: axa-61

We design factories. Not buildings. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Valued Mentor
stevec781
Message 10 of 13 (315 Views)

Re: We design factories. Not buildings.

10-26-2012 11:19 AM in reply to: machiel.veldkamp

Large assemblies and LOD's mean long parts lists and Inventors BOM table fillter is awesome, and something that Swx and Creo cant match at the moment.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post