Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking the display location of sketch dimensions

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tony.rainsberger
635 Views, 6 Replies

Locking the display location of sketch dimensions

Hello,  I making a rather complicated sketch in Inventor to send to a laser cutter.  I want to place and lock the location of displayed sketch dimensions; however, Inventor automatically reorients these display locations frequently (ie when I finish the sketch, move around nearby dimensions, add additional elements to the sketch, etc).  Is this behavior controlled by a default setting?  If so, where can I find this setting?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: tony.rainsberger

Do you need to see the dimensions?

Maybe convert to a Sketch Block.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto

Hi Tony,

No, but what you can do is copy the sketch to a drawing and rearange the dimensions there.  In the drawing they will stay where you place them.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
tony.rainsberger
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks Scott.  That works like a charm and has application for a wide range of situations.

Message 5 of 7
Cadmanto

You're most welcome.  Glad it worked out for you.  Smiley Happy

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 7
Benjamin
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Scott,

Has this functionality been added to inventor yet or is there any plans to? I think it would be very useful! 

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

Unfortunately, it is not yet available. The sketch dimension or model dimension can still move arbitrarily when the geometry is changed. I believe there might be ideas on Inventor Ideas forum. Please vote for it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report