Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking a view in Inventor drawing .dwg when placing views

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
brian.meyers
3006 Views, 6 Replies

Locking a view in Inventor drawing .dwg when placing views

First off, I am using Inventor 2012.

So I created an assembly in Inventor and now I am creating a drawing for it in Inventor.  I have a few views placed of the same assembly.

Is there a way to lock one view in the assembly?  For example, my assembly consists of a door, I would like to have one view with the door open and another view with the door closed on the same drawing using the same assembly link.  Is there a way to do this?  Like is there a lock feature somewhere in Invetor that I can accomplish this?

Thank you in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
BarryZA
in reply to: brian.meyers

What you really want are positional representations, which you control in your assembly.

Once you set that up you can choose which positional rep/level of detail/view rep you want to show in your drawing.

and or use overlay to ghost different positions in a single view.

Message 3 of 7
brian.meyers
in reply to: BarryZA

So I created a position representation.

This might be a stupid question, but how do it edit a view to be able to choose which position rep/level of detail/view rep that I want to show?

Is it best to do this from a new view or can I fix this from a current view?

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
BarryZA

RMB on the view - edit

or double click on the view, you will see drop-downs for the reps.

Message 5 of 7
brian.meyers
in reply to: BarryZA

So I've figured that out, the problem I am running into now is about creating view representations.  I am trying to create one for when the door is open and the other for when the door is closed.

Here is how I did it so correct me if I am wrong:

I set up the view to the way I want it, with the door closed.  I then went to Represenatations --> View and right clicked and hit New and created View 1.  I then right clicked the new View 1 and hit lock.  I did the same for View 2 with the door open.  When I double click to change between the two, it shows them both with the door open but with a different angle on the assembly.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong so any help will be appriciated.

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
jtylerbc

@brian.meyers wrote:

I set up the view to the way I want it, with the door closed.  I then went to Represenatations --> View and right clicked and hit New and created View 1.  I then right clicked the new View 1 and hit lock.  I did the same for View 2 with the door open.  When I double click to change between the two, it shows them both with the door open but with a different angle on the assembly.

As you stated in the quoted portion of your post, you created a View Representation.  This is not the same as a Positional Representation.  View Representations control camera position, component visibility, and color overrides.  Technically, the View Reps you created are doing exactly what they are supposed to.

You need to be creating Positional Representations instead, as BarryZA indicated.  Positional Representations are listed in the browser just below where you created the View Representations.

Message 7 of 7
brian.meyers
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thank you guys for your help, I have figured it out now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report