Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked Dimensions?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
JimSteinmeyer
8526 Views, 5 Replies

Locked Dimensions?

I have a part made by a former co-worker that appears to have some dimensions locked. The second feature on the attached file is a pair of rectangular cuts. I would like to edit the dimensions of the hole, but when I sellect a dimension I am unable to enter any numbers in the dialog box. Can someone suggest a solution?

Thanks,

We are on 2013 now.

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rhasell
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

Hi

I had a look, I can modify every dimension, so is this problem on this part only? (I am not sure if this behaviour could be from Vault or perhaps a network drive, I don't use either, so I am guessing?)

It might actually be eaisier to re-model the part, The sketches are not constrained correctly, and you have point to point dimensions (Ex AutoCAD user?)

You can then apply material properties at the same time  🙂

Sorry I could not have been of more help.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 3 of 6
JDMather

@JimSteinmeyer wrote:

I would like to edit the dimensions of the hole, but when I sellect a dimension I am unable to enter any numbers in the dialog box.

I don't see a Hole feature on that part.

What dimension - can you be more specific?  Each dimension has a variable name.  Are you referring to d103, the 19.353 dimension?  That is a driven dimension (reference).  Driven dimensions can't be edited.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
mblankman88

If you are editing the sketch some dimensions may become driven. Try and make the dimensions that not are already driven, driven, by selecting that dimension and then selecting driven dimension on the ribbon. This willl allow you to select and make the dimension you were originally trying to edit, an udriven dimension (by selecting that dimension and then again selecting driven dimension from the ribbon).

Message 5 of 6
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: mblankman88

JD, sorry instead of hole I should have said cut. The specific dimensions I was looking to change were d104 and d19. interestingly enough, when I attempted to edit the dimensions today, they worked! I don't know what happened but when I attempted to change them the other day I could select the dimension but when I went to edit it the current dimension would show again and the curser would show at the end of the dimension and not allow anything to be entered.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 6 of 6
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: rhasell

Reg,

So far this is the first time I have seen this behavior, and as I mentioned to JD, it appears to have dissappeared and things act as usual. The operator who origionally created this part is our Lasor programer  who has a lot to learn about working in 3-D. ;D

Jim

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report