Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

local light in sub assembly

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1461 Views, 9 Replies

local light in sub assembly

can anyone help me figure out how to embed a light with a part so that it moves with the part when you animate a component such as a car head light moving with the car?

it seems simple but Ive looked eveywhere for the solution.

Do i just animate the light to travel with the component?

also I have multiply lights(street lights) so it would be nice if I can copy the assembly with the light

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mflayler2
in reply to: Anonymous

From Help section:

Component level

Add a local light to a component to have a light that travels with the component when it is animated. The light parameters are static in this case, that is, whatever the parameters are set to remains the condition throughout the animation. Local light parameters cannot be animated when the light is lower than the top level of the model hierarchy.

Local lights can be the only object in a component model. You can create a model, exit the sketch, add a local light and position the light relative to the model origin work features. You can position a light within the assembly relative to other components or work features. The component position can then be animated using either Animate Component or Animate Constraints.

For BOM purposes, this component should be set as a Reference component.

Assembly top level

Adding a local light to the top level of the assembly allows certain light parameters to be animated. The light is not associated with a part in this case.

Are you having trouble applying the light or seeing it travel in the animation?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: mflayler2

I read that many times in the past week, it still doesnt explain how to embed the light to the object

everytime i add a local light its fixed in the space the probelm i see is that lights can only be added in studio in the [arent assembly.

Message 4 of 10
mflayler2

They should be able to move with the component at the lower level, but you cannot directly animate them at the lower level when in a higher level assembly.  (if memory serves me)

Edit: I just verified this with one of my datasets.  I place a light in a lower component and the state of the light in the lower level is carried through to the the top and will animate with the component, but cannot change the state of the light at the top level.

If you need to change the state of the light while animating (on/off, color, initial position) , then you will have to turn it off in the lower component and use a light in the highest level assembly and use Animate Light to sync with your component.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 10
mflayler2

Gage light in video and attached with new blue light in the gage lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZl0OQ9sE8

Download files: (will clear 5 days after this post) : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4015397/Animate%20Lights.zip

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

thanks! ill try that

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Dear Colleagues,

I want to animate a welding process (Autodesk Inventor 2013) with addition a local light, like this.

I tried several times, but I do not know, that how can I assign this local light to the moving "welder tip" component?

(My attempt in attachment)

Thank you for your help in advance,

George

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Message 9 of 10
skylinejeff

Mark_Flayler wrote:

From Help section:

Component level

Local lights can be the only object in a component model. You can create a model, exit the sketch, add a local light and position the light relative to the model origin work features. You can position a light within the assembly relative to other components or work features. The component position can then be animated using either Animate Component or Animate Constraints.

For BOM purposes, this component should be set as a Reference component.

I don't understand the "Local lights can be the only object in a component model".  I'm trying to create a "sign" that has some LED fixtures, and I need to pattern the LED fixtures and have the lights go with them.  I can't create >100 local lights in the top assembly.

So I opened the LED fixture assembly (it has a polycarbonate lens, a backing board, and three small cylinders that represent the physical led bulbs), created a component within the assembly called "light.ipt" and set is as reference.  So now my assembly has four components.  

I open the "light.ipt" for edit, without creating any geometry, and start the Inventor studio environment.  Upon trying to add a lcoal light, I get the error message "This command requires model geometry"

So it appears that the local light cannot be the only object in the component "light.ipt" as your post seems to suggest.  What am I missing?

Jeff

Message 10 of 10
lvp01
in reply to: skylinejeff

can you make a tutorial video about that ? 

i'm a sefl-study student and i'm was wondering about this for months  

thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report