Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load time 2012

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
donohoj
1292 Views, 12 Replies

Load time 2012

Does anyone eles have issue with Inventor load time? It take 2 - 2 1/5 minutes for our Inventor 2012 to just load on a Windows 7 PC, 64 bit.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Martin_Goodland
in reply to: donohoj

What are your PC Specs ? The machine in my signature launches 2012 Pro in under 10 seconds, however my old PC which is a Dual core AMD Opteron @ 3 GHz with 4Gb of RAM, 7200 RPM hard drive and Vista 64 bit takes around 90 seconds.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 3 of 13
blair

No problems or issues here. IV2012 loads even faster than IV2011.

Load times are directly related to your hardware and primarily your hard-drive. IV2012 loads in 16 seconds on my home machine and 5-6 seconds on my work machine.

A lot of big-box stores will lure people into buying machines where all they publish about the hard-drive is it's capacity. Not RPM, Access/Seek or Data Transfer rates. 

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 13
donohoj

Dell Precision T5400

Intel Xeon E5440 2.83gz

12 Gb Installed ram

Windows 7 64 bit

47.9 gb free space

Nvida Quadro Fx3700 graphic card

Message 5 of 13
blair

Clean all your temp directories and caches, use something like CCleaner from: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Then run your disc defrag tools that are shipped with Microsoft O/S.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! To be more specific, I think you are talking about the wait time when you try to open a document right after you start Inventor for the first time, right?

In R2012, Inventor delays loading DLLs essential to opening Inventor files until the user tries to open a file. Inventor will start up promptly after you click on Inventor icon. Then, if you try to open an Inventor file for the first time, these DLLs will need to be loaded, which takes some time for the first open doc. For any subsequent document, load time should be fairly fast.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 13
donohoj

Actually I am talking about the time it takes to just open Inventor, from the time we double click the Icon on our desktop to the time the entire program is loaded.

Thanks

Message 8 of 13
johnsonshiue

That is interesting. In theory, the start time should be must faster than before. Do switch between two different Inventor releases on a regular basis? When your last run Inventor is a different release of Inventor you are trying to launch, the re-registering process could take a bit more time.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 13
daltec2
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The time inventor uses to open in both 2011 and 2012, are within a few seconds. When opening a file first time after i opened inventor, the times are 10-15 seconds longer due to the dll loads as one of the above posts mentioned.

My hardware specs are:

Windows 7 64 bit

3.4 GHz. AMD Phenom II X4, 965 [ Black Edition ], 4x512 KB (L2 cache) + 6 MB (L3 cache)

8 GB DDR3, PC3-10600 Kit

64 GB Turbo SSD Harddisk (Inventor installed on this disk)

and a 1 TB - 7200 RPM, 32MB memory buffer, NoiseGuard™ and SilentSeek™. for the data.

AMD HD 6870 with 1 GB DDR5.

Message 10 of 13
donohoj

We are on Inventor 2010 in our production environment, which it takes approx 25-30 seconds to open Inventor.

But what we are doing is testing Inventor 2012 and it is taking about 2 minutes to open Inventor everytime.

Thank you for your responses!

Message 11 of 13
blair

Load IV2012, then close, this will allow IV2012 to re-register. Then Load IV2012 and see how long it takes.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 13
gcross
in reply to: blair

Blair,

This is a side topic not completely unrelated but almost.

I noticed your computer specs showing an i7 system. I was hoping you could comment on how you like your system using 2012 Ultimate.

I've been wrestling with whether to blow the bucks $7K+ get a dual Xeon 5690's with ECC ram vers the i7 990 which is a lot less expensive & uses less expensive RAM (up to 24 GB). I'm getting tired of having my past huge computer investments deflate in value so soon.

Also looking at a Quadro 4000 graphics card for Ultimate 2012 3DS Max /Showcase/IV Pro but keep hearing folks in forum saying just go with a GForce card (like a GeForce 590) due to IV Direct X support & no need for Open GL anymore. I think both are close in price.

Also have questions on SSD for operating system & fast disc HD's in RAID 0 for data. I know that affects load time.

I'm running mostly IV & haven't installed 2012 yet till I get the new machine.

If you wouldn't mind could you contact me at g***cross at cross***design***com

Thanks.

Message 13 of 13
blair
in reply to: blair

I have a "older" Dell 690 with dual Xeon Quad-Cores with a Quadro 3800 and SAS hard-drive at home as well. The i7 blows away the 690.

The SSD's in RAID0 are incredibly fast, I upgraded the Diskeeper software and now cold-boot load IV12 in 6 1/2 seconds.

I did move the Quadro card from this machine to my home machine when I upgraded to the GTX590. I used to build my own machines a number of years ago, then when the Dell workstation route. I am completely happy with this unit. I figure I saved over 30% from a Dell or HP workstation with better performance.

With the unit, should I need to for a presentation, overclock for that added performance (never had to yet).

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report