Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip Feature For Woodwork

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
MKEYES2060
1069 Views, 10 Replies

Lip Feature For Woodwork

Is it possible to get rid of the line on a panel’s face left by use of Lip Feature to model an “offset tongue” on a flat panel?  The line shows up as a face object (not hidden linetype) when  part is saved out to flat panel dwg.  Also shows up in ‘export face as’ and other places where not wanted.  See attached.  Thanks-a-million for any help.

Michael Keyes
Keyes Marine Interiors
Inventor PDS 2012
Windows 7 64
Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: MKEYES2060

On the drawing you can simply RC on the line and uncheck "Visibility".  That will remove it from sight there.

As far as the model goes, it almost looks as though there is an ever so slight surface edge there.  Without having the model that is my best guess.

If you want to post your model I can take a look at it.

What version are you running?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
MKEYES2060
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thought about the surface offset. Only thing I know to do is set the offset dim in the Lip dialogue to 0.000 etc. Have a ipt up shortly.
Michael Keyes
Keyes Marine Interiors
Inventor PDS 2012
Windows 7 64
Message 4 of 11
MKEYES2060

So I take it this isn't "normal".  I'm running Inv 2012.

Attached .ipt with Lip Feature. 

Michael Keyes
Keyes Marine Interiors
Inventor PDS 2012
Windows 7 64
Message 5 of 11
Cadmanto

I will take a look at your model shortly.  I know the times I have used the lip feature I don't remember having an offset issue like what you are describing.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

The Delete Face with Heal option will remove the line (changes the two faces into one face).

The reason the Lip Feature creates that as a separate face is because a draft angle could be applied to that face.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 11
MKEYES2060
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, this works. Thank you.  However, it would be better if it weren't necessary every time I used Lip.  I'm trying to get my work flow from part/assembly to flat pattern dwg (for cnc processing) to as few steps as possible.  I must be missing something if this dosen't show up normally.

Michael Keyes
Keyes Marine Interiors
Inventor PDS 2012
Windows 7 64
Message 8 of 11
JDMather

@MKEYES2060 wrote:

... I must be missing something if this dosen't show up normally.

I don't understand this statement?

It would be perfectly logical for the Lip to create that as a separate face so that it could be edited for Draft Angle.

Maybe a simple Sweep would be more appropriate for your design intent.
A sweep feature would not need to create the extra face.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 11
MKEYES2060
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry. My mistake.  I thought ohter users weren't seeing this.  No biggie.  I'll deal with it.

Michael Keyes
Keyes Marine Interiors
Inventor PDS 2012
Windows 7 64
Message 10 of 11
Cadmanto

Michael,

I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  Saturday morning duties.  Smiley Happy

Anyway, I looked at your model and at one I created using the lip feature and on mine I have the same issue you have.  Never noticed it before.  Mainly because my lip was on the inside and less conspicuous.  But, never the less it does show two surfaces.  One for the lip and one of the main body.

Like JD said, in order for it to be angled it has to be seperate, part of me wants to say the software should make it one as long as the angle is 0°.  Now, what I did notice about the parts I created using this feature, is the groove portion does not create two seperate surfaces.  You might want to think about this one to see if you can alter your model to accept a groove instead of a lip, but ultimately both dimensionaly looking and physically being the same.

At least using the delete face like JD suggested does work.

Best of luck with this.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 11
MKEYES2060

Scott,  thanks for taking time to look into it.  I've been using the Delete Face solution Mr. Mather suggested and it isn't such an inconvenience (Thanks again Mr Mather).  I'll have to look at using the Groove option.   The way I use Lip is to set tongue Length and Width with parameters (in my part template) and then material thickness variations don't matter... The tongue is always .25 x .25 etc. regardless.  I would need to register the Groove dim off the face side ( as opposed to "shoulder" or rebate side) for this to work the same way...  which I think is do-able.(?)   Live and learn.  Thanks again.

Michael Keyes
Keyes Marine Interiors
Inventor PDS 2012
Windows 7 64

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report