Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking iAssembly Parameters

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cadcamm99
295 Views, 4 Replies

Linking iAssembly Parameters

I am using Inventor 2014.

I want to know if I can link iAssembly Parameters to Part Parameters.

For example.  I want to change the length of a part within in my iAssembly table.  I also want different part in the assembly to also change to that same length.

Basically I just want to control the assembly dimensions from an iAssembly.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: cadcamm99

Hi! This is best done in iLogic. You could create a rule in the iAssembly factory managing parameters across different documents. If you want to use Parameters Linking workflow, it is better done via a common skeletal part or a common Excel spreadsheet. Or, you could run into cyclic relationship (asmb -> part -> asmb).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
cadcamm99
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The image shows my iLogic in the iAssembly.  It works when I switch between the members in the iAssembly.

However, If I try to insert a member into another assembly as a subassembly, nothing updates.  The size is always the first member size.

Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: cadcamm99

Hi! How is the rule triggered? I think I "might" know why it behaves this way. To make this particular iLogic rule work, you will need to interrupt "Generate Member" process. It is because, when Inventor generates the member, it does not need to activate the member before saving the member file.

Try this an see if it makes a difference (to prove my theory).

1. Activate the member in the iAssembly factory.

2. Run the rule.

3. Generate the active member.

Is the member correct now?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
cadcamm99
in reply to: johnsonshiue

No, it did't work.  Also, when I inserted a member into another assembly,  I got a message asking if I want to save all the parts in the assembly that were updating.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report