Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking documents to an .ipt or .iam's user params don't update. Why!!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
chuck_b
250 Views, 9 Replies

Linking documents to an .ipt or .iam's user params don't update. Why!!

I have an assembly with 3 .IPTs. One of the parts ("dummy part") is just used to export parameters to the other two and contains work planes that I use to constrain the other 2 parts to it in the assembly. If I choose to export the "dummy part" user parameters (which is what I want. I'll explain why if any shows interest) I run into major problems because the 2 parts that use these exported parameters don't update. Doing a rebuild-all doesn't help. If I export MODEL parameters they update fine when the "Dummy part" is changed. Why are USER parameters over looked during an update?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: chuck_b

Version??

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
260-399-6615
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 11SP3, AIP 2008 SP1, PcCillin AV
HP zv5000 AMD64 ( modified)
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185, 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2, Windows Classic Theme

wrote in message news:5694259@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have an assembly with 3 .IPTs. One of the parts ("dummy part") is just
used to export parameters to the other two and contains work planes that I
use to constrain the other 2 parts to it in the assembly. If I choose to
export the "dummy part" user parameters (which is what I want. I'll explain
why if any shows interest) I run into major problems because the 2 parts
that use these exported parameters don't update. Doing a rebuild-all
doesn't help. If I export MODEL parameters they update fine when the "Dummy
part" is changed. Why are USER parameters over looked during an update?
Message 3 of 10
chuck_b

Using version 2008. No service pack installed because had too many issues with SP1.
Message 4 of 10
chuck_b

FYI- I do notice the trick is to have at least one model parameter exported from this "Dummy part" then the linked parts update. If you only export user parameters this is when the change to a linked referenced document is getting overlooked by the update algorithm. Hopefully this can be fixed by an easy patch by Autodesk if my findings are correct. At least I have a work around for now. Message was edited by: Chuck_B
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

What issues?

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
260-399-6615
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 11SP3, AIP 2008 SP1, PcCillin AV
HP zv5000 AMD64 ( modified)
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185, 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2, Windows Classic Theme

wrote in message news:5694340@discussion.autodesk.com...
Using version 2008. No service pack installed because had too many issues
with SP1.
Message 6 of 10
chuck_b

Sorry initially thought you where talking about the linking issue. We have had constant severe error messages, out of memory messages, etc. Started seeing it on all workstations once installed SP1 2008 and was corrupting all our assemblies. Couldn't pin point anything specific. Happened with assemblies that have derived parts, no derived parts, two parts, 100 parts. Didn't seem to affect the .ipts. Unistalled SP1 and the problems went away. It was a major struggle of restarting inventor and sometimes the computer to just get our work completed. The assemblies that were giving us problems were fine once we removed SP1.
Message 7 of 10
chuck_b

This was probably the most famous error we would see. "Internal error in persistence operation (segment loading is not supported...)" Seems to be a more common topic in the customization group discussion. The response, from Autodesk, is that this means you usually have a corrupt file but if that were the case all the corrupt files went away when we removed SP1. Which unfortunately requires a total uninstall.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Chuck,

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having.

I have R2008 SP1. I created 3 parts and put them in an assembly. P2.ipt and P3.ipt link from P1.ipt and the user parameters are exported. If I change a parameter in P1.ipt, then it does update P2 and P3.

I would make sure that all the parameters in P1.ipt that you plan to use in P2 and P3 are exported. Thanks.

shekar
Message 9 of 10
chuck_b

Thanks for responding I'll check out your assembly. When I was having problems getting all the parts to see the change in the linked part I could do so by opening each part, open the parameter window of that part, RMS on the link parameter header and choose edit. Do nothing else but close the edit window and then close the parameters and then that part would show that it needed updates. Then hit the update button and back in business. Had to do this for every part that was linked to that specific part and then open up the assembly and the update button was enabled and updated the assembly. They were exported and displayed in the custom iProperties. This happened in R11 also but using rebuild all in the parent assembly fixed it every time. Thanks again.
Message 10 of 10
chuck_b

Your sample worked great and I tried to recreate the issue with your parts but failed to do so. Which is good! I wish I hadn't changed the document I was having issues with because it was consistently not updating but for now I'll wait until it happens again and make sure I post the document. Thanks Again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report