Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking Desktop In IV 7[Guru's Please Help]

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
SRayC
244 Views, 4 Replies

Linking Desktop In IV 7[Guru's Please Help]

I am in DESPERATE MODE. I am trying to place MD4 parts into IV7 ass'y. I have modified my project to list the location of the MD files, created a location for the proxy file (as library paths). These locations are all on a server. I am getting two different errors. First error - Happens when after selecting the file a dialog box appears wanting the Template file. No matter what template file I use I get "Invalid Part Template File". Second error - If by chance the first error does not occure I get this error: "Path\filename is not valid for placement in an assembly." Any thoughts\suggestions\links to help\ANYTHING.
Please HELP!!!!!

Ray C.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: SRayC

First of all, change the library paths to Workgroup (against the instructions I know, but the way libraries work has changed since
IV2) otherwise the linked parts will never update.

Secondly, you can only link Part Only files. You may have to open up the MDT files and externalise the parts into their own
individual part only files before they will link.

HTH

John Bilton
Message 3 of 5
SRayC

Thanks for the input, but I've finally gotten it to work (I hope for good) per the documentation. I had to do a repare install. I have not tested the update portion when the MD part gets changed but that is for a later day. I'm not how solid it is because I've had some flaky things take place when specifying the template files.

Thanks again.

Ray C.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Just a quick point.  When you save the MDT
part or change it in any way IV re-links and does not see the parts as the same
so you loose constraints in your assembly.

Kathy Johnson
Message 5 of 5
davesm

We are loosing links after a server reboot. Usually only a few links are lost, however we have lost all the links to MTD parts. Is this a bug in Inventor? We have not had a problem with MTD files that are converted to Inventor parts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report