Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link sketches

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jadomini
1979 Views, 4 Replies

Link sketches

Hello,

Who can help me? I have a part in Inventor 2013 with many holes and I want to put another part above this with screws that pass on it and is screwed on the first. How can I do like when I change the holes in the first part to be modified like same in the second and the assembly to be correct? How can link the sketches?

Many thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: jadomini

What I would do is create a derived part.  Basically inserting part A into part B such when part A gets updated both A and B change.  Plus if any assembly these two are used in get updated as well.

derived.PNG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 5
jtylerbc
in reply to: jadomini

Three possibilities:

1. Projected Geometry

With both parts in the assembly, constrained together, and the holes already created in Part 1, edit Part 2 in place within the assembly.  Start a sketch, and use Project Geometry to project the hole edges from Part 1 into Part 2.  These projected circles can then be used as an extruded cut, or their centers used for a Hole operation.  Assuming you don't have this ablity disabled in your Application Options, they should project as Adaptive, and will follow the positions of the holes in Part 1.

I only recommend this method if the number of holes is unlikely to change.

2.  Linked Parameters

In Part 1, name all of the relevant Parameters for the bolt pattern (spacing, number of bolt in the pattern, etc.).  Then in Part 2, from the Parameters dialog box, click the Link button.  Switch the file type to Inventor, then browse to Part 1.  Select all the related hole parameters.

The hole parameters will be copied to Part 2 as User Parameters.  You can then draw the sketch for the hole pattern in Part 2, but instead of actually giving it numbers, set the values equal to the corresponding User Parameters.

3.  Bolted Connection Generator

Learn to use the Bolted Connection Generator on the assembly.  This can create the holes in both parts and place the screws for you, all in one action.  However, it has some quirks you'll have to deal with, including the creation of additional files.

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: jtylerbc

4. Multi-body solids

so now you have a total of 5 different techniques (including the Derived Component suggestion) to try out to see which one works best in your situation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
jtylerbc
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

4. Multi-body solids

Good catch.  I tend to forget about that one because we don't use it much at my company.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report