Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linear Diametrical dimension in a detail view.

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Ahatz
4126 Views, 13 Replies

Linear Diametrical dimension in a detail view.

Question:

Does anyone know of a way to show a linear diametrical dimension in a Detail view? Since there is no other endpoint to snap to, I don't think it can be done...Attached is an example of how I'd like to show the dimension....I'm guessing this is not possible.

Thanks in advance

Alexlinear.JPG

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: Ahatz

don't think it can be done.......I'm guessing this is not possible.

Why do people frame questions like this?
Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
Ahatz

I've attached a picture in my post. Can't you see it?

I framed the question that way because I've tried everything I can think of, with no luck, therefore I'm assuming it can't be done. I posted it here to see if anybody has a possible workaround, or solution.

Thanks

Alex

Message 4 of 14
BMiller63

I'm almost certain I've seen a blog tip or something like that on how to get the result you're after, but I don't recall where or how it was done.

I do recall them overriding the dim arrow on the one end and making it a double arrow, as part of the trick, but I don't recall how they got the dimension in the first place.

Message 5 of 14
JDMather

@Ahatz wrote:

I've attached a picture in my post. Can't you see it?

I framed the question that way because I've tried everything I can think of, with no luck, therefore I'm assuming it can't be done. I posted it here to see if anybody has a possible workaround, or solution.

Thanks

Alex

I'm not familiar with editing pictures in Inventor.  I think it is plain lazyness for someone to not post a representative dataset of their problem when others routinely spend time building datasets for them. You haven't even stated what release you are using.

Would you care to make a wager based on your original problem description?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: JDMather

JD, I guess you win the bet.... Smiley Very Happy

000112.PNG

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 7 of 14
BMiller63
in reply to: JDMather

JD I agree that far too many people ask for help and expect others to do all of the leg work for them in finding the answer. But "pretty pictures" are helpful for communicating the question when it is of a general nature as it is in this case. Screen shots are also appriciated for users like myself who use an older version of Inventor the majority of the time.

I think you "attack" on this person is a bit out of line, and your message is getting lost in your vented frustration.

Message 8 of 14
BMiller63
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

@ Dennis, your solution works ( I swear it wasn't this easy in the past), but there are a couple of things to add:

if the detail doesn't include the centerline as in Detail B you can't get an accurate dim.

detail1.png

But if you right click and use the Automated Centerline command, you can add a centerline.

detail2.png

Then you can dimension from the diameter edge to the centerline, and then right click and use the Linear Diameter option.

detail3.png

@ JD, hope you like the pretty pictures.Smiley Tongue

@ AHatz, thanks for your question, I think it was fine, and I appreicate screen shot. But do take JDs point about providing example files, and as much information as possible. I routinly pass over questions that are unclear, or will require too much of my time to setup an example, etc.

Message 9 of 14
Ahatz

Mr.  Miller,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply to my question. Your solution is excellent, and confirms to me ,that the users here are the best. I've worked for a reseller for many years (almost 19), and only post here when I'm truly stumped. The reason I didn't put up a dataset is because this question wasn't specific to a particular part or assembly. Yes, I should have mentioned the release of Inventor (2011), but again, this issue was fairly generic in nature.

I will be sure in the future to be more complete in providing as much information as possible when posting a question.

Mr. Jeffery,

Mr. Mather didn't "win" anything, because I don't make a habit of "betting" people on CAD newsgroups about functionality within the software.

Mr Mather,

It's spelled l-a z-i-n-e-s-s.Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 14
rcwarthog1

Hello

I hate to attach items to others post but my problem is similar to Ahatz but it's not receiving any answers from my post.

Where it says "Ref. Dim Here" I'm trying to add dimensions, but I get the error message that there aren't any attachment points. Is there a way to add these dimensions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Wayne

Inventor 2010.jpg

Message 11 of 14
wwholden

Has anyone tried this in Inventor 2016? I have tried the proposed solution and the centerline does not appear in my detail view of the referenced section view. From looking at detail B in the proposed solution it looks like it is possible to get an automated centerline that's beyond the geometry shown in the view. 2016 files attached.Part1.jpg

Message 12 of 14
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: wwholden

I could be wrong..  But in section views and detail views of sections, I believe the automated centerline tool doesn't work in that case.

In the future I might also suggest starting a new posting instead of replying to one that is 4 years old.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 13 of 14
ravikmb5
in reply to: wwholden

u cam use following method

u can hide the center line once you have placed dimensions

3.png

2.png

1.png

Please mark this response as Problem Solved if it answers your question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ravi Kumar MB,
i7 860 Dell Studio XPS Win 7 64 bit 12 Gb RAM & HP Z220 SFF Workstation
Autodesk Inventor Certified professional 2016
Email: ravikmb5@gmail.com

Message 14 of 14
jswistak
in reply to: ravikmb5

The last post shown was excellent and works quite well. Thank you Ravi Kumar.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report