Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linear Diameters

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
askrobia
339 Views, 5 Replies

Linear Diameters

Ok, I'm a student at VA TECH and we use inventor, My version 7 wasn't working so I got the new upgrade to 9. My problem is that the tutorial book that we use for inventor is based off of version 6. It was helpful with the version 7, but a lot has changed between version 6 and version 9 obviously.

So, my question is this, in the tutorial it says to right click inside the graphics window, and then it shows a selection of "Linear Diameter" being in the menu that pops up, however in version 9 that selection isn't there. Only the options of done, Edit dimension, previous view, isometric view, and hot to show up. So where do I go to get the Linear dimension? I need this in order to revolve the object to create a symmetrical pulley, or so the tutorial says. Is there another way to do this?

Thank you for all of you help.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: askrobia

I'm assuming you are in the model sketch environment. If so, then there are a couple of new icons that control the linetypes available, one being the centerline you are looking for that will allow a diameter dimension when sketching revolves. Check out the default toolbars and you will see them. "askrobia" wrote in message news:25445555.1096504996947.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Ok, I'm a student at VA TECH and we use inventor, My version 7 wasn't working so I got the new upgrade to 9. My problem is that the tutorial book that we use for inventor is based off of version 6. It was helpful with the version 7, but a lot has changed between version 6 and version 9 obviously. > > So, my question is this, in the tutorial it says to right click inside the graphics window, and then it shows a selection of "Linear Diameter" being in the menu that pops up, however in version 9 that selection isn't there. Only the options of done, Edit dimension, previous view, isometric view, and hot to show up. So where do I go to get the Linear dimension? I need this in order to revolve the object to create a symmetrical pulley, or so the tutorial says. Is there another way to do this? > > Thank you for all of you help.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

To get the Linear Diameter to show select the dimension tool and select each line required and then RMB (right mouse button) before placing the dimension this will give you the Linear Diameter option. -- Cheers, Rob Singlehurst Quadro4 750XGL 44.03 Athlon XP 2600+ 1G RAM Win2K SP4 IV9 SP1 "askrobia" wrote in message news:25445555.1096504996947.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Ok, I'm a student at VA TECH and we use inventor, My version 7 wasn't working so I got the new upgrade to 9. My problem is that the tutorial book that we use for inventor is based off of version 6. It was helpful with the version 7, but a lot has changed between version 6 and version 9 obviously. > > So, my question is this, in the tutorial it says to right click inside the graphics window, and then it shows a selection of "Linear Diameter" being in the menu that pops up, however in version 9 that selection isn't there. Only the options of done, Edit dimension, previous view, isometric view, and hot to show up. So where do I go to get the Linear dimension? I need this in order to revolve the object to create a symmetrical pulley, or so the tutorial says. Is there another way to do this? > > Thank you for all of you help.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I'm assuming that you are trying to find the Linear Diameter tool in part sketch mode. This tool is only present as a dimension tool in a .idw file. If you want to create a linear diameter in a sketch, make sure that you have the axis drawn as a centerline and choose your edge and then the centerline. IV will prompt you for a diameter instead of a radius. If you are trying to use it in a .idw file, use the dimension tool and first select the edge, then the centerline, then RMB and Dimension Type/Linear Diameter. Hope that helps. -Mike
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

If you can't figure it out zip and post the file and someone here will help you out. There really isn't very much difference between v6 and v9 - but beware you cannot go backwards with the native files, you would have to save as sat or stp and lose your history if you need to open in an earlier version. What version do they have in the campus labs now?

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

J.D. Mather
VA TECH '93
Message 6 of 6
askrobia

Thanks for your help, I think I got it to work, if not I'll be back with more questions. And as far as what version they are using in the labs I'm not really sure, I know that most of the professors have updated to version 9, so I'm assuming that they would have done that in the labs too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report