Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting Motion in Assemblies

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
dstrayer
805 Views, 18 Replies

Limiting Motion in Assemblies

How do you limit translation/rotation of components in Assembly mode?  I'm volunteering as a teacher to some high school students and we're modeling a robotic arm using syringes as prime movers.  I want to keep the linkages from traveling inside-out and limit the travel of the syringe plunger.

Thanks,

Dave

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: dstrayer

What version of Inventor?

2010?

2011?

2012?

Look into Constraint Limits and/or Contact Sets.
Can you attach your assembly here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 19
dstrayer
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the reply.  The District currently only has 2009 loaded (Grrr).  I'm also dealing with an overly protective IT guy that I now won't see until Monday.  I'll try to Pack n' Go it to you on Monday.  Appreciate the help.

Message 4 of 19
dstrayer

Tried a Packngo and attached the assembly - not sure if it worked.

Dave

Message 5 of 19
JDMather

An assembly file by itself is useless (just lok at that file size).
An iam file is simply a record of hyperlinks to parts and a list of assembly constraints.

You must include the part (*.ipt) files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 19
dstrayer

OK, let's see if this works.  I zipped the pack and go folder and attached it (2 to follow).

Again, this is a simple model of a (high school project) mechanical arm.  I'm looking for help in learning how to limit constraints so that it won't flip inside out or come apart.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Message 7 of 19
dstrayer

Second one.

Message 8 of 19
dstrayer

Last.

Message 9 of 19
JDMather

Password protected?

Message 10 of 19
dstrayer

Really?  I didn't enable anything for password protecting whenI zipped.  I don't know if the school IT adminstrator has everything so locked down that I can't even zip a file or what.  I'm only volunteering in the mornings so I'll have to see what I can do tomorrow.  Sorry for the hassle.

Message 11 of 19

Hi dstrayer, 

I haven't had a chance to look at your assembly, but I was able to open the zip files without running into any password prompts.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 12 of 19

Thanks Curtis

Message 13 of 19
JDMather

Hmmm, just tried again and had no trouble extracting on a different machine.

I'll have to go back and figure out why I was getting a password prompt on my main machine.

Message 14 of 19

Hi dstrayer, 

Unless I missed it, there is another assembly file and its components required. When I try to open General Assembly (Austin).iam I encounter a resolve file dialog.

General Assembly (Austin).iam is looking for General assembly.iam  which was originally at R:\robotic arm project\General assembly.iam

Here's what I see (or don't see) when I open General Assembly (Austin).iam in case it helps.

Gone Missing.png

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 15 of 19

Yep, that's it, and I know exactly where to get the missing asembly.  I'll get it on here first thing in the morning.

Message 16 of 19

Hi dstrayer,

In looking at your assembly, and considering the version of Inventor you're using, I think this link might have the answer you're looking for. There are even some example files at the link at the very bottom of this page:

http://design-excellence.teknigroup.com/tutorials/Inventor/restrictiveTransConstraint.html

Kudos to the late Dennis Jeffrey for making this avaliable.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 17 of 19

Curtis, thanks again for the help.  I haven't checked out the link yet but I wanted to get the missing file on here right away.

Dave

Message 18 of 19
JDMather

Your students can download Inventor Professional 2012 for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity for their own personal computers. Unfortunately any work they do in 2012 could not be opened in 2009 version.

I will be having my class work on this assembly in 2012.
Not sure I will have time to document what we do for the 2009 version.

Message 19 of 19
JDMather

As I go through the parts I see many sketches that could be simplified by using geometry constraints rather than dimensions.

Sketch Constraints.png

Example 2.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report