Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitations of 'Feature Pattern Select' at the assembly level?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
borowskia
633 Views, 7 Replies

Limitations of 'Feature Pattern Select' at the assembly level?

I have an assembly in which a pattern of holes is created using the 3D tools at the assembly leve.

Hole is created and patterned in an .iam file.

I then place this assembly into a parent assembly and intend to insert fasteners into each of these holes using the component pattern>Feature pattern select tool, however the tool will not recognize the pattern i created at the subassembly level.

Is this a limitation of the software? Is the feature pattern select tool only able to acknowledge patterns generated at the part (.ipt) level?

Thank You!

Andrew Borowski
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mdavis22569
in reply to: borowskia

can you post a data set?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
borowskia

Andrew Borowski
Message 4 of 8
borowskia

Here you go.

1 is a representative part

2 is a representative washer

a1 is the first assembly in which holes are added and patterend into part 1

a2 is an assembly where part 2 (washer) is added and feature pattern select is desired.

this occurs in cases where the manufacturing order of operations dictates that in some cases holes are added after some other aspects of it have been assembled. very common with welded parts for example where you want to locate a pattern accurately after a weldment has been completed.

Andrew Borowski
Message 5 of 8
mdavis22569

Have you used a weldment .iam before? This would probably solve/answer a lot of your questions and what you'd like to do ... You can probably accomplish most of the welding/drilling/patterning in this one file as you need to do what you're requesting ..then place it in a general assembly

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
CAG_DRAFT

my understanding is that you need a pattern within a part to use the associated feature pattern tool in an assembly.

the icon on that tab even shows a single block seemingly indicating a part.

I just tried to make a (hole) feature pattern in an assembly and use that to drive a component pattern in the same assembly, it does not want to pick it up.

(tested in IV2013)
Message 7 of 8
johnsonshiue

Indeed, this is currently a limitation. The associative feature pattern is only allowed on part level, not on assembly level. Please add this suggestion to Inventor Ideasstation.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8
borowskia
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for clearifying Johnson!

Where do I find the Inventor Ideasstation?

Andrew Borowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report