Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

7 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 5

Lighting styles for shaded views in an .idw

2122 Views, 4 Replies
04-30-2012 07:07 AM

I've been working with a model where some of it is in a dark shadow when I make a shaded view on the drawing.  I've created a custom lighting style in the style manager, but I haven't found any way to succesfully assign that lighting style to the model in a way that will light the shaded views in my drawing.  I'm using Inventor Pro 2011.  Any thoughts?

*Expert Elite*
7,329 Posts
658 Kudos
Post 2 of 5

Re: Lighting styles for shaded views in an .idw

04-30-2012 07:36 AM in reply to: Gregg.Reinhart

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/How-to-disable-reflections-and-gradients-in-shaded-v...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

7 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 3 of 5

04-30-2012 10:02 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

This particular registry edit doesn't work for what I'm trying to do.  Here's a simplifed example.  I created a white cube, and some of the faces are grey due to the lighting when I make a shaded view in the drawing.  So I have gone inot the style manager and modified the lighting to remove the shadows ( in this examp[le I changed the light color to red so its more pronounced).  I went in created the registry key, shut down Inventor,a nd even tried a restart, and both opened the existing drawing and tried creating a new drawing, as as you can see the change in the lighting color doesn't show up in the shaded drawing view.

*Expert Elite*
7,329 Posts
658 Kudos
Post 4 of 5

04-30-2012 11:44 AM in reply to: Gregg.Reinhart

OK.. Now I seem to remember a long time ago that I had this problem too .. I believe I had to edit the lighting.xml file because the lighting in an IDW is forced by the "Default" lighting style and is not tied to the part or assembly lighting styles.

I'll see if I can remember where I did that. or what I did..

Sort of discussed here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Lighting-in-idw/td-p/2351822

Open the xml file (make a copy first) then edit that "#1-Default" lighting style and that should fix it..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

7 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 5 of 5

05-01-2012 06:11 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank you, at least that points in the right direction.  But I'm not much a a coder, so any further info that you could provide on modifying the .xml file would be very helpful.

Thanks again :smileyhappy:

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!