Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIFTING LUG

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
methoni
2058 Views, 5 Replies

LIFTING LUG

Having drawn and created a lifting lug ,i now wish to prove its strength,adding a force of 49258 N to the inner pin hole with constraints around the lower edge i find that the safety factor is very low.This suprises me for when doing a hand calc i have a safety factor of over 2.

The load is at 60 deg to the horizontal (in the top left hand quadrant).

If i find that the lug needs to increase in thickness so be it but the question still remains about the factor of safety.

Any comments please would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
admaiora
in reply to: methoni

Hi,

the model is not robust/correct:  sketches not constrained,no tangencies where they would be supposed to be, unconsumed sketches, useless geometry, no-parametric modeling use.

I suggest you to pass before throught a basic Inventor modeling path before approching adavnced modules as Stress Analysis.

Your calculations are (probably) correct. Your 3d modeling and the approch to stress analysis need to be redifined.

You have created a stress singularity (stress concentration), with the plane cut to the internal hole.

A great force over a little surface >>>  great stress concentration (not real), that will false your results and your safety factor (that will be largely above 2)

de.jpg

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 6
methoni
in reply to: admaiora

Thanks Admaiora
Interesting about the stress concentration, I did this to create a flat plane to enable the force vector to align at the correct angle of 60 deg, is there another way of input to make sure that the load direction is correct.
Regards
Message 4 of 6
admaiora

You can use an edge, a sketch line, an axis  workfeature, decompose your force in vectors, etc

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 6
methoni
in reply to: admaiora

Thanks
I will try that approach
Regards
Message 6 of 6
JDMather

I haven't looked at your file yet, but from the image I suspect you should have a Bearing Load with direction selected from a sketch.

You can Split a face to apply loads rather than creating extraneous geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report