Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lifting Lug Analysis

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
methoni
1246 Views, 2 Replies

Lifting Lug Analysis

Having created a lifting lug and compensation plate i now wish to analise the strength of the compenastion plate, this plate and the lug will be welded to a vessel shell.The lug analysis seems fine.What now needs to be done is to analise the comp plate to see what stress is induced ie what the safety factor might be etc.

If one assumes that the vessel shell will be more than adequate then it must be a case of applying a load to the lug.The lug in turn is welded to the comp plate.

A constraint has been added to the outer periphery of the plate to represent the weld. At the moment the plate is 20 mm thick. A load of 37.94 N has been allocated to the lug at an angle of 60 degrees to represent the shackle pin.

When i try to analise the assy  error messages are shown.What am i doing wrong

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: methoni

What error message are you getting?

What is Young's Modulus for ASTM A516-70?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
methoni
in reply to: JDMather

JD

Sorry about the delay in replying.

Youngs modulus is 29000 ksi.

Regarding the error message ,perhaps that was a little misleading,what i expected to see in the analysis was some deformation concentrated in the middle of the plate,particulary where the lug welds to the plate.

This analysis is to check on the lug integrity around the shackle pin hole and the compensation plate thickness which in turn will be welded to the vessel shell.

If you look at the lug i have introduced a small landed area to define the load vector angle (ie the lifting sling angle) at present this seems the only way to do this.

The load is 37.79 N at 60 degrees to the horizontal.

Of course the small land area needs to be kept to a minimum.

The plate thickness once checked will of course determine the  size of the fillet weld of the plate  to the shell (in this case the shell is 20 mm thick) and eventually

i will do a check on the weld.

Hope this throws some clarification on what i am doing.

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report