Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library parts in Vault

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jdrann
934 Views, 6 Replies

Library parts in Vault

How can I prevent our library parts from being inadvertently checked out of vault.

This is causing problems when a 2nd,3rd etc. user opens an assembly that uses the same library part.

2014 Inventor and Vault Server

Thanks

Jim

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
swalton
in reply to: jdrann

A few quick thoughts, in random order:

1. Train your users to only check-out files that they are changing.  Do not use the "yes to all" button when opening files. If the user does not know why Inventor/Vault wants to check out a file, the correct answer is no.

2. Check out all of your library parts to a dummy user so no one else can get them. 

3. If you are on one of the paid vaults with lifecycles, put the library parts in a locked state.

4. Are the library files on the correct Inventor release?  If not, migrate them.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 7
jdrann
in reply to: swalton

We will try these solutions and let you know the results.

Thanks

Jim

Message 4 of 7
BeKirra
in reply to: swalton

I have the same question in Vault forum on 19/02/2014.

"1. Train your users to only check-out files that they are changing..."

I don't think it is practical because anyone could make mistakes especially in a big firm.

"2. Check out all of your library parts to a dummy user so no one else can get them."

It is not practical either.

As an administrator, I can't check the Vault library items every minute.

"3. If you are on one of the paid vaults with lifecycles, put the library parts in a locked state."

Could you please give more details on changing to locked state?

"4. Are the library files on the correct Inventor release?  If not, migrate them."

I am afraid that it is difficult to migrate the library items to the latest Inventor version format especially when the library grows up.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 5 of 7
brendan.henderson
in reply to: BeKirra

Swalton is referring to paid versions of Vault, not the free (Vault Basic) version you probably have. Vault Workgroup and Professional have the function to release and lock files from editing and other security measures.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 6 of 7
BeKirra
in reply to: brendan.henderson

Our vault version is 2014 pro.

How to Lock the Library\Content Center files?

Thanks.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 7 of 7
brendan.henderson
in reply to: BeKirra

How to lock files using Lifecycles is a big question. It greatly depends on your workflow. I can't give you a direct answer. You need to understand Categories and Lifecycles. Use the 2 links below for help on these.

Do you have a VAR? Didn't they do this for you?

Categories :- http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/Help/ENU/?guid=GUID-F1864CF2-0DF9-4640-A38C-FAE41F900CB4

Lifecycles :- http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/Help/ENU/?guid=GUID-088F0236-B5B7-4E35-B218-BD2D253B87F6

You probably should ask further questions in the Vault forums :- http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Vault-General/bd-p/101

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report