Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level of Detail (LOD) to show dotted lines?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jaredhowell1337
1975 Views, 10 Replies

Level of Detail (LOD) to show dotted lines?

Hello all,

I ran a few searches and got nothing, I hope I am not duplicating a previously asked question (with thousands of threads out there I probably am)..

Anyway!

Could somebody please tell me if Inventor 2010 has the capability of showing certain parts/sub-assemblies in phantom style lines on the idw/dwg file?  

I have a box unit, where I want to show the base, but with the posts  meeting it in phantom.  Then when I do the drawing for the posts, I want the base and roof in phantom.  Then when I do the roof drawing, I want the posts in phantom again.  

I can't change the BOM level as it will apply to every level of detail.  when suppressed, they completely vanish.  Is there a way to do it rather than find the parts in the browser (whilst in the drawing) and change the properties (over-riding them)?

Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inventor 2012

Windows 7 64-Bit SP1

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5570 @ 2.93GHz

NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 (Avail. Graphics Memory 4067MB - Ded. 1024 MB)

12 GB RAM
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Could you please send me an example where you want to change the BOM structure to phantom.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 3 of 11

I have copied and pasted the below message from the email I replied to, just in case the solution helps another member in future.

"The model I have is too big, and I am not permitted to take time from the project I am working on to produce an example for you.

Basically I have a steel box frame.  I need it all to be created in one model, however one drawing will show the top frame, another drawing will show the bottom frame while another drawing shows the posts.  I need the posts & bottom frame to be in phantom on the drawing I show for the top.

I can’t change the BOM to reference as it effects every LOD. 

Does this help at all?"

So if I have a model that consists of 3 parts (top, middle, bottom), I need:

• One drawing to show the top, with the middle & bottom not referenced in BOM but shown in phantom
  • One drawing to show the middle, with the top & bottom not referenced in BOM but shown in phantom
  • One drawing to show the bottom, with the middle & top not referenced in BOM but shown in phantom

These drawings are all taken from the one assembly.  The method I use at the moment is individually selecting the parts in the browser (whilst in the drawing) and changing the properties to make it look phantom.  The item balloons are overwritten because the other parts are still referenced.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inventor 2012

Windows 7 64-Bit SP1

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5570 @ 2.93GHz

NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 (Avail. Graphics Memory 4067MB - Ded. 1024 MB)

12 GB RAM
Message 4 of 11

Generally the LOD management is used for controlling the memory usage, it removes the parts which are not used in the assembly from the memory so it gives you better performance when you work with Inventor. The LODs do not influence in any way the mass properties or the BOM structure. In order to achieve what you need, you have to use iAssembly. In this way, you can specify different versions of the assembly where the BOM structure of the parts is set to panthom for example. And this will be reflected in the drawing as well.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1655-Assembli1655/1656-Build_a...

Daniela Koloszko

Message 5 of 11

I think what he wants is Reference.

So, you can create an iAssembly with four configurations: one for the whole assembly, and three for the individual parts - each with the other two set as Reference, and then put each configuration on a separate drawing?

(I know I have cases where detailing a part or subassembly without at least some of the main assembly would not really make any sense when someone looks at it.)

Message 6 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: dan_inv09

Its much easier to just right click on the parts you want to change to a different line style in the idw model browser and pick "select as edges" then go to the layer dropdown on the annotate tab and pick a different layer that has the line style you wish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 11
dan_inv09
in reply to: mcgyvr

If you read all the way to the end:

"Is there a way to do it rather than find the parts in the browser (whilst in the drawing) and change the properties (over-riding them)?"

Plus I think the intention may have been to control the Parts List at the same time. (And reference parts don't block what's behind them.)

Message 8 of 11
mcgyvr

I read it all.. I just don't see the point in making iassemblies just to control line styles in the idw.. Select the parts once/change line style and be done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 9 of 11
dan_inv09

Instead of explaining the method like it was some new idea, you could have said something like, "No, there is not a way to do it rather than find the parts in the browser (whilst in the drawing) and change the properties (over-riding them)."

And I don't really think it's just about controlling line styles in the idw.

I think that that was just the way they had come up with to try and show the part in the context of the assembly on the detail drawing, and they would prefer something that does more that just "make the lines dotted".

Message 10 of 11
mcgyvr

@dan_inv09 wrote:

And I don't really think it's just about controlling line styles in the idw.

I think that that was just the way they had come up with to try and show the part in the context of the assembly on the detail drawing, and they would prefer something that does more that just "make the lines dotted".

Well I don't read minds.. I provide an answer based off the information provided in the posts.

Frankly I don't see why he would even want the other parts as hidden lines and included in a detail drawing for the post or box or whatever.. But thats what he seems to want so I told him the quickest method to do it.

Message 11 of 11
dan_inv09

It's like if I were to say, "I was walking along and stepped on a banana peel and fell down." then you come along and post "Step on the banana peel."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report