Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level of detail and part substitution?

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
cadull_rb
323 Views, 0 Replies

Level of detail and part substitution?

With Inventor 2012, I would like to construct an assembly with a simplified part model and later switch to a detailed part model.

To achieve this I have created the detailed part [Sheeting.ipt] and derived to create a simplified version [Sheeting (design).ipt]. I added the detailed part as the only item in an assembly [Sheeting (substitute).iam] and created a substitution level of detail using the simplified part. Since iMate appears to be disabled for substitution level of details, I created another assembly [Sheeting (iMate).iam] that contains the substitute assembly and adds iMate functionality. This assembly is then used as desired in the final assembly [Sheeting (application).iam].

Since the part will be required in multiple lengths, materials and colours, I will need four files for each variation of the part. Is there a better way to acheive the result? Ideally parts would support level of detail and substitution, but it would also help if the iMates from the substitute part were available. Is it safe to use this approach - e.g. can I rely on constraining a substituted part or should they only be used as a viewing option?

Regards,

cadull

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report