Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
CPRob
Message 1 of 4 (281 Views)
Accepted Solution

Length Parameter In iPart Description

281 Views, 3 Replies
01-15-2014 05:36 AM

I have a Length parameter that I would like to use in the description of a simple iPart.  I can enter the equation with the parameter into the Description field in the iProperties and it calculates correctly.  When I add the description column to the iPart table, all members get the same description as the active or current member even though all the Lengths are different.  Regenerating all members does not seem to correct it.  I have done this before but don't remember what am I doing wrong.

Dual Intel Xeon E5540 CPUs
16GB DDR3 Ram

To get all iPart members to use their specific lengths in their specific descriptions you must put the equation in Excel.  I thought this could be handled by the built in fx equation capability in the parent part description but apparently not.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 2 of 4 (262 Views)

Re: Length Parameter In iPart Description

01-15-2014 06:22 AM in reply to: CPRob

CPRob wrote:

I have a Length parameter that I would like to use in the description of a simple iPart.  I can enter the equation with the parameter into the Description field in the iProperties and it calculates correctly.  When I add the description column to the iPart table, all members get the same description as the active or current member even though all the Lengths are different.  Regenerating all members does not seem to correct it.  I have done this before but don't remember what am I doing wrong.

It looks like the value and not the actual equation populated to the ipart table.  Try manually typing the equation into one of the instances, and see if it propogates properly (tongue twister!).  If it works, you can copy and paste the equation into the rest of the rows.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cadtipstricks.wordpress.com//

CPRob
Message 3 of 4 (256 Views)

01-15-2014 06:40 AM in reply to: cbenner

You cannot type the equation directly into the iPart author column (see error) but you can do this if you edit the table via spreadsheet and create the equation in Excel.  I thought this could be done without entering an additional equation in Excel?

iPart Description.png

16GB DDR3 Ram
CPRob
Message 4 of 4 (234 Views)

01-17-2014 07:07 AM in reply to: CPRob

To get all iPart members to use their specific lengths in their specific descriptions you must put the equation in Excel.  I thought this could be handled by the built in fx equation capability in the parent part description but apparently not.

16GB DDR3 Ram
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.