Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length of Content Center Parts not correct in filename?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Winks87
894 Views, 11 Replies

Length of Content Center Parts not correct in filename?

We use structural steel (square tubes & channels) from the Autodesk supplied content center and have noticed some of the parts are saved with 0.001" as the length in the filename.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Is there a possible solution/workaround?

Inventor 2013

Vault 2013

James Winkler
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: Winks87
Message 3 of 12
Winks87

Just placing them in an assembly (not in Frame Gen).  I was incorrect - this is a part from my custom library - I must have goofed on the length variable in the naming.

James Winkler
Message 4 of 12
cbenner
Message 5 of 12
Winks87
in reply to: cbenner

Yep, will do in a few - have a meeting (yawn) to attend.

James Winkler
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

The default length of all beams, tubes, etc from the content center is .001

Do not forget to put your desired length before placing them. Someone placed them using the default length, then after saving changed the length through the parameters to correct the length, without going back and changing the file name or replacing the beam, tube, etc.

CC.PNG

Message 7 of 12
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

The default length is 0.001" (ADSK programer with a sense of humor). When they are in the IAM, just RMB click on a member, a dialoge box will pop-up and you can change the length (nice thing about CC). You can also as noted, change the default when you are creating/placing from CC

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 12
Winks87

Here are some captures of the Family Table, the file naming options (which I never touched) and parameter mapping.

I cannot swear by it, but I dont believe these were created at first as 0.001" length as these were created via the frame generator.  I do know other parts that were created individually (not with frame gen as you asked earlier) that also had this issue.  It makes me think it is the file naming straight from content center.

James Winkler
Message 9 of 12
Winks87

Some sense of humor Blair, must have been the same guy that decided to be inconsistant with the family table columns.  That one had me laughing for days - not!  lol

James Winkler
Message 10 of 12
blair

Default length in your table is 0.001" as well. Looks like something is wrong with your table. Does it work correctly with the supplied CC from ADSK?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
blair

Probably same guy that decided that 10m was the max length for the supplied CC library 🙂

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

default table lengths even in provided libraries is .001, but I expect the size designation has a formula set in it to display whatever the length ends up as. Such as =L 1 x 1 x 1/8 - <B_L>

which when displayed shows L 1 x 1 x 1/8 - .001 (or whatever the current length B_L becomes.

If you hover over a content center supplied by AD length column, it will tell you it is actually B_L.

I could be wrong, but I believe you need to type that formula in your size designation field. We use the stock number field set as our description field which excludes the length, then have a seperate field to display the length.

This way it doesn't matter what the part says it is due to multiple changes.

Length.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report