Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leader Text Question

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
avaya2012
950 Views, 10 Replies

Leader Text Question

I have a question on Leader Text.  Lets say I have a multiple sub-assys in a main assy.  When I do the leader text on one of the sub-assys it will take the description from the individual part in the sub-assy.  Is there a way I can make it put the assembly description rather than the part descripton?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
harco
in reply to: avaya2012

I haven't tested this but it may be to do with your BOM structure.

If the BOM is set to structured expanded or parts only the leader might be picking up info in the same way balloons do.

Just a guess with out trying the process.

I have tried something similar in the past but can't remember the result although I don't think I got it to work as I wanted.

If you just want to pull the description from the model iproperties a balloon style could do this but again it will depend on the BOM structure, I would guess this is the reason you are trying the leader text.

It might just hold your description selection if you don't attach the leader to the assembly but have it very near.

It's a long shot.

Message 3 of 11
Scrubulum

Did you ever figure this out?  I'm coming from SolidWorks and am very fustrated that I can't figure out how to do this.

Message 4 of 11
avaya2012
in reply to: Scrubulum

Nope, I didnt figure anything out or get any help here.  I have just been copy and pasting from the sub-assy iProperty or manually typing the description I need.  I have gotten little to no help with the majority of my questions. 

Message 5 of 11
Scrubulum

Thanks for the reply.  Seems like a pretty basic feature and I can't believe people just put up with it.    I suppose I will have to be satisfied with just typing as well. 

Message 6 of 11
jddickson

I have a work around that works. It not worth the time to do it every time but would work well with a template. You would have to make an iLogic rule on the drawing level that makes a custom property change to match the subassembly decryption. Then you can pick the custom drawing properties to pick the decryption. This way everything will update if the subassembly decryption changes.

If you need help with the iLogic please let me know.

I hope that made some kind sense and helps in some kind of way

Thanks

JD

Message 7 of 11

Hi everyone,

I've created an Idea Station idea for this. You can use this link to give the idea a kudo to show that this is something you would find useful:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Improve-Leader-Text-to-Pull-Subassembly-iProperti...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 11
dan_inv09

Just because a feature with the same name doesn't behave exactly the same from one software to another doesn't mean that the people who use the new software are all stupid.

That being said, all us Inventor users do put up with a lot of things.

This forum is filled with "How do I get it to ... ?" "You don't." and "It's doing ... " "Yeah it'll do that."

But you can't tell me that never happened with Solidworks, or any other software for that matter.

There is probably a way to get it to do what you need, have you tried balloons? There's a lot of functionality there to play with.

And of course there is the IdeaStation, where you can post your feature requests. I just went to look and the first thing that came up for me is exactly your problem. Go and add your vote to have them work on it.

Message 9 of 11
Scrubulum

Wow, sorry!  Please don't take my SolidWorks comment the wrong way.

Every time I have switched CAD programs there have been things to deal with.  SolidWorks is what I was using most recently and am am most comfortable with so I trying to replicate things that I did there.  Hence why I asked the question.    I'm not assuming, implying or otherwise saying that anyone is dumb.  We all put up with things in every peice of software we use everyday, I expect it and deal with it but find the best way to learn is to puch myself to find the limits of the software.

Balloons do work nice for calling out subassemblies as they have the exact functionality that I am looking for (tied to BOMs) but I cannot use balloons because of my employeers format requirements (the application is installation instructions rather than assembly prints).

Message 10 of 11
dan_inv09

I just meant that THAT doesn't mean that we're all stupid.

There is plenty of other evidence. Just look at how long I spent composing that post. (I actually open a bunch of tabs with questions I find interesting and read through them while doing other things as well, so it might be pretty old before I even start typing.)

So you need, like, "Tighten {subassembly description} to 25 foot lbs"? (not that that anything you would do, but the only other examples I could think of would be "attach {a} to {b} using {c}" and then you would probably want a, b, and c to each have its own arrow and that's getting crazy - and, we're ALL not crazy (just most).)

Now I have assembly instructions where I want to use balloon numbers in-line with text without any sort of arrows. And I have to remember to check it every time I reorder the balloons - at least a subassembly description has a better chance to stay the same.

Message 11 of 11
jddickson

First on the drawing level go to add rule on the manage tab.

Pic 1.jpg

Inside your rule you need to paste this code. Make sure you change the subassembly name to match yours. You can also change the part number to description or whatever. Also set event triger to before save. Then click ok.

iProperties.Value("Custom", "SubAssembly Part Number") = iProperties.Value("0851-S01.iam", "Project", "Part Number")

Pic 2.jpg

Go to the leader text and under type pick “Custom Prosperities – Drawing” and under property pick “Subassembly Part Number”. Hit the function key and you’re done.

Pic 3.jpg

I Hope this helps and if you still need help let me know.

Thanks

JD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report