Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leader as view label disappears

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
karthur1
1522 Views, 12 Replies

Leader as view label disappears

We have started using leaders with the "Model Property-Part Number" in the text field to label the detail of the part. This is much better than typing in the text in the view label field. After the leader is placed, we usually delete the leader.

The problem that I have is if you move the leader and drop it in the broken-out section of a broken view, the entire leader and text disappears. It seems that something about the leader is still in the idw, because the file size of the idw does not go back to the size before the leader was moved.

Where does the leader go?

R11.sp2
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: karthur1

I don't know what happens when you delete it but why don't you just turn off it's visibility?
Message 3 of 13
cad_fun

It goes to a happy place...j/k There is nothing for the leader to attach to in the "broken" area so the leader disappears. My guess is it gets hidden along with the rest of the part that is being hidden between the break lines. I have seen similar things with dimensions in previous releases. If you changed a feature and that resulted in an abandoned dimension, you could edit one or the other of the origin points, but as soon as you edit the second one, the dim would disappear the same as this.

You can create a sketch symbol that serves this function, and it would seem to be a lot simpler than having to change the leader properties every time.
Message 4 of 13
karthur1

I have a sketched symbol created, but this has its limitations. That is why I am forced to use a leader.

I have the symbol defined to show the "Model Property-Part Number". This works as long as the leader for the symbol is there. If I delete the leader of the symbol, the part number for the part changes to the part number of the first part in the idw.

In the attached file, both symbols are attached to the part shown. The one with the grips around it (leader deleted) shows the incorrect number.
Message 5 of 13
cad_fun

OK, I think I have a very simple solution for you. Click on the view so it is highlighted (dashes around the view), then create a sketch (hit S), create text and use your Part Number parameter; finish sketch. By creating the sketch with the view selected it is associated with the view so the text will move when you move the view and the text can be moved manually as well. No leader required. I found this out in R10, just checked 11SP2 and it works fine.
Message 6 of 13
karthur1

That would work, but seems like too many steps just to add a label for the view that is associated with the part properties.

Would be nice if the Symbol worked correctly.
Message 7 of 13
cad_fun

I know it is quite a few more steps, but it does exactly what you are asking to do.

The other way would be to use a Parts List/BOM and/or use balloons to call out your parts.
Message 8 of 13
karthur1

Yea, we've tried the parts list/ balloon method also.

I wonder if the behavior of the symbol without the leader is a bug or "as-designed"? Either way, would be good if it was fixed. Can't really see why it would not work like I described.

Thanks
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Right Click the symbol and select Edit Symbol, then un-check the box for
leader visibility.

Mike

wrote in message news:5619812@discussion.autodesk.com...
We have started using leaders with the "Model Property-Part Number" in the
text field to label the detail of the part. This is much better than typing
in the text in the view label field. After the leader is placed, we usually
delete the leader.

The problem that I have is if you move the leader and drop it in the
broken-out section of a broken view, the entire leader and text disappears.
It seems that something about the leader is still in the idw, because the
file size of the idw does not go back to the size before the leader was
moved.

Where does the leader go?

R11.sp2
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Message 12 of 13
cad_fun

I was going to mention that also, and you can do that while placing the symbol from the symbols tool in the browser.
Message 13 of 13
karthur1

That works.....

Thanks Mike.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report