Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layers in Inventor

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
dcmorgan
19379 Views, 24 Replies

Layers in Inventor

whats the point of being able to create layers in Inventor if you can't assign anything to it???
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: dcmorgan

wrote in message news:6279983@discussion.autodesk.com...
whats the point of being able to create layers in Inventor if you can't
assign anything to it???

They're there simply to make the AutoCAD converts feel a bit less like they
just moved to another planet.

Really.

Quips aside, the nature of the various objects in Inventor (dimensions,
sketch geometry, notes, leaders, title blocks, etc) is that they are
inherently separate objects, and therefore don't need to be "managed" by the
user...which is what Autocad layers are all about. That basically makes the
whole concept of layers...not totally obsolete; they're still buried in
there, but mostly transparent to the user. If you're coming over from Acad,
this will no doubt be a revolutionary idea to you; good layer discipline is
just something that Autocad users feel in their bones, and to totally ignore
layers altogether will seem almost indecent. Rest assured, there are things
in Inventor (constraint discipline, for instance), that are every bit as
important. I've used Inventor quite successfully for years, and the only
attention I ever have to pay to layers is when I'm (ugh) forced to open
AutoCAD for some reason.

Well, that's not totally true; my photo editing software also has 'em

Cheers,
Walt
Message 3 of 25
msklein

The only thing i've done with layers is in the dwg templet to create an alignment setup for placement of my notes there by allowing fast placement of standard notes. Once notes are set then i turn off that layer hiding all the points for the notes. never needed them otherwise.
msk
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous

dcmorgan,
I'm not sure what you mean by "assign", but you can put lots of things on
layers and change what layers various objects go on by default by using
"object defaults".

- Matt

wrote in message news:6279983@discussion.autodesk.com...
whats the point of being able to create layers in Inventor if you can't
assign anything to it???
Message 5 of 25
ARCross

I agree, not being able to map assemblies and parts to different layers is a limitation. The only work around I know of is to change the line properties of parts in the browser of the idw.

I sometimes model existing structures to which we are adding something new. It would save me a lot time if I could map the existing structure to a layer that I could then use as reference geometry.

Maybe I am missing something?
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous

I don't think you do miss anything. Except the ease of layers use in AutoCAD
versus Inventor. Here is a recent example: In a cross-section view I needed
to show two hidden lines out of the whole bunch as it would be with Hidden
Lines On option. Well, I shifted the two lines to the Tangent Lines layer,
changed their properties to show Chain line type, etc, etc... Then I have
edited the view again and selected Hidden Lines removed option. The "Show
Tangent lines" was On at all time.
But that didn't work. My hidden lines disappeared completely, regardless the
layer they were on. I ended up just sketching those lines over the view.
Not that it is a big deal but annoying one non the less.
Regards,
Igor.

--
Web: www.meqc.com.au
www.boatworks.meqc.com.au
wrote in message news:6322791@discussion.autodesk.com...
I agree, not being able to map assemblies and parts to different layers is a
limitation. The only work around I know of is to change the line properties
of parts in the browser of the idw.

I sometimes model existing structures to which we are adding something new.
It would save me a lot time if I could map the existing structure to a layer
that I could then use as reference geometry.

Maybe I am missing something?
Message 7 of 25
ARCross

Hmm, yep. Another beggar is the inability to map hatches to different layers or even assign them to a different style. Again I feel like I am missing something but up to this point I end up reelecting the hatch and changing its properties. Ive since decided to change the color. So last night I went through all my dwg's where that hatch was represented and manually changed their color. The only way to reselect the same color is to save it to the custom color in the properties dialog... a custom color that will be gone next time I load Inventor.
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous

ARCross,

I am not sure I understand what you want to use layers for or what problem
you are trying to solve by using layers but... In assemblies, could you use
Design Views as pseudo layers?

Regards,
Diane Hawes
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 25
Light_Guy
in reply to: Anonymous

We are modeling entire rooms with all disciplines being shown in order to locate various equipment in the space. The model is then dropped to a 2D drawing (Which is what our construction folks require to work from and our customer requires for archiving) which is historically heavily layered to show the different types of equipment (structural items, electrical items, HVAC and various piped systems) and the lineweights are set by the layers. In my business (shipbuilding) the design world may be moving readily to 3D but the construction part of it still relies very heavily on the 2D drawing to build it and layers are a very important part of that product.

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 10 of 25
jdchakes
in reply to: Light_Guy

Any progress on using Layers in Inventor?

I too am in the ship design/building industry and have complex models and need to regularly turn things on/off.

At the moment the best I can do is create different view representations in the assemblies with different systems/structure/fitout turned on/off, then when inserting views into drawings select the view representation.

Message 11 of 25
blair
in reply to: jdchakes

We are in the commercial equipment transportation sector. We use View-Reps to isolate our equipment and lines. Items such as air control lines will have their own View-Rep, the same with hydraulic lines and specialized mounts. We just create a View Rep for what we want isolated and then use that View-Rep for the drawing.

In some ways it's easier that Layers in ACAD as the same component can be in a number of View Reps but only reside on a single layer in ACAD.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 25
lesmfunk
in reply to: blair

This question is never going to go away as long as layers exist in Inventor. We have an airline schematic dwg that I pasted into Inventor sketch. I would like to control lineweights of entire layers, but can't in Inventor.

I want to drive the Mustang but I keep being forced to pull the Model T out of the barn.

Message 13 of 25
sana_ok

dcmorgan wrote:
whats the point of being able to create layers in Inventor if you can't assign anything to it???

agree..

Message 15 of 25
blair
in reply to: sana_ok

1. Forget AutoCad, this is Inventor, Autocad is just lines on a screen.

2. There are Layer Control for IDW/DWG in Inventor is controlled by the Styles Manager which allows you to set Line Weights, Colors and Visibilities and if you want the item suppressed.

View the ScreenCast to really see how Inventor displays model information.

All parts (solid objects) are the same, so Inventor doesn't know a fitting from a tube run (which is a 3D sweep of an IPT)

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 25
soctavio

Hello, I copied a view from one drawing to a new one with my new template.

I projected some views from the original one.

Now I have some views with a line thickness coming from the original file and the new views with a line thickness set by the template.

I see both styles (original and new).

Yes, I can change the original style to match the new one, but this is just not right (may be ok, but not right!!!)

I just can't find a way to change the original view to the styles of the new template.  Soooooo frustrating!

Message 17 of 25
smokes2998
in reply to: soctavio

From what I have read you don't need to use layers,for example If you know how to use the include function for pipe routes in an assembly. if you sweep your pipes you can get the swept path into your drawing by using  get assembly part sketches  the find the sweep path sketch and include it in the drawing you can then tweak the path to a dashed line and change the colour and thickness.

You can turn the hidden lines off by selecting the hidden line and right clicking turn off hidden line. ( thought they do reappear when you edit the part. )

There are lot of  ways to skin a cat if you have a play.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous

Layer_Command.PNGIt's been a nearly a decade and I have an answer for the question, "How do I change lines from one layer to another layer in an Inventor drawing .idw Sketch?"

There is a Layer command that is not in any panel that I know and will not show if typed into "Search Help & Commands...".

You can add it to the Ribbon as a User Commands by doing the following:

• right-clicking the ribbon
  • Choose Customize User Commands
  • New window "Customize" opens
  • On the left should be all the Commands alphabetically
  • Either scroll down to Layer or click into column and type "la"
  • Click "Layer"
  • Click double arrows ">>"
  • I would also add "Styles Editor" while you're here in the same manner.
  • Choose Display type in the right column (ie Large or Text or don't choose either to get just a small mouse cursor icon, I prefer just text).
  • Click Apply

Clicking Layer here works generally like AutoCAD but only works for moving things from one layer to another.  

You cannot choose the active layer that new lines/text will be created on (from what I can tell).

You have to select line/text - click Layer - Click dropdown (sometimes you have to unselect and reselect the dropdown) - choose the desired layer to transfer current selection.

The whole setup appears to have been an incomplete thought.

Message 19 of 25
kadscad
in reply to: Anonymous

I have a similar post that is related to this. Forget the comment above Autocad is just line blah blah.

There is still the need to be able to compose your drawings to display to your liking. Colors of elements, hatch style

I would also like Screening of elements on a layer.

I want to assign layers properties by material 

I want hatch style in a section to be assigned by the material.

You can add layers

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/hatch-pattern-per-material/td-p/3644892

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-customization/assign-layers-to-materials/td-p/2871324

Kirk
Inventor 2023
Message 20 of 25
MatsNorway1

So how does one do 2D layouts in Inventor? you don't?

All i want to do is to get something better going than a Powerpoint with boxes on top of a picture.

i cant make a sketch in idw and make a layer for it. Layers are blank then..

I guess the answer is: Get product design suite and use Autocad or this mystical factory module/program.

‌:nauseated_face: ‌:face_with_medical_mask: Fusion 360

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report