Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Assembly trimming down?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bhowe
358 Views, 5 Replies

Large Assembly trimming down?

I have a large assembly. I would like to send it, (or part of it), to a vendor. The vendor only needs to see the work envelope he has available to him for installing his components. I don't want to send him the entire file with all the detail. I tried a "Derived Part" but the computer crashes/hangs when attempting. Is it possible to do a "shrink wrap" of individual files, and use them to create another assembly? That seems like more work. Any suggestions?

Thank You

Bill

Inventor 2011 Pro 64 bit
Windows XP Pro 64 bit
Dell Precision PWS390
Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @2.66GHz
7.93 GHz Ram
ATI FireGL V7200
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
a18cey
in reply to: bhowe

Hey there

You could try creating a LOD with the components you require and creating a DWF file for that LOD.

Message 3 of 6
japike

I use the derived part method and seldom have an issue, and I have a severly underpowered 32 bit computer with only 2 gig of ram.  What are the steps you are using when you try to make the derived part?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 4 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: japike

F1..."shrinkwrap assemblies"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 6
bhowe

I have been using the "shrinkwrap" feature. It seems to work well, although the finish IPT looks more like a surface model? The file size was cut in half.

Thank You

Bill

Inventor 2011 Pro 64 bit
Windows XP Pro 64 bit
Dell Precision PWS390
Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @2.66GHz
7.93 GHz Ram
ATI FireGL V7200
Message 6 of 6
mcgyvr

The shrinkwrap tool has many options. (having surfaces or not is one of those I believe)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report