Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop for Inventor

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jim.doe
1364 Views, 5 Replies

Laptop for Inventor

Hi

Can anyone recommend a laptop for inventor please?

I only want to practice as I'm a relative newcomer to
inventor so I'm not after a mega-spec machine but equally I don't something that can only just do the job! Under £500 if poss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: jim.doe

About any new Windows machine would work.

I recommend a minimum 8Gig of RAM.

I recommend a minimum 17" screen with a full numeric keypad for doing CAD work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
blair
in reply to: JDMather

As the spec's JD posted, a decent graphics card. Look for a "Gamming" type machine as they tend to have better graphics cards.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6
sam_m

as has been mentioned, a gaming laptop as a good start.

try to get a 1080 screen as a 720 screen is under the minimum resolution for Inventor.  A smaller resolution will mean a (much) smaller working area plus, in the past (think most have been fixed now) some options screens are longer than 720 pixels and thus the OK/Cancel buttons are off the bottom of the screen.

make sure it has a dedicated graphics card...

You mentioned £ so I'm guess you're in UK.  Check out the Dell outlet for cheap laptops, their XPS range are usually pretty decent for gaming, but I have not personally tried them with Inventor for years.

Ram is cheap, so if you find a good deal with everything you want but only 4Gb ram then get it and upgrade that yourself - this is what I did from the Dell outlet years ago.  Got a laptop with an rrp of £1300 from the outlet for only £450 but it only had 4Gb ram, so for £35 I got an 8Gb kit and swapped them.

In all honesty, £500 might be a little too low - possibly ok with smaller assemblies but you might need a slightly higher spec for large assemblies and complex parts using lots of surfaces.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 5 of 6
JoAnn_Hogan

Have a look at this link for the System Requirements: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/ENU/FlowDesign/files/GUID-F3997...

I have a Dell Inspiron 17. Have a look at that, It is working great. It has 2 different Graphics cards. One for High Performance like my Inventor software and one for everyday tasks like Emails. I havent had any problems with it.

I am not sure what your price conversion is currently but I paid R16000 for mine. Go have a look at it or something similar. But like JD said. Lots of RAM and a good graphics card 

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 6 of 6
oransen

I have an 8GB Windows 7 Fujitsu machine with a full keyboard with numeric pad.

The processor is an Interl i5 2.6GHz.

Slightly slow with Inventor, but decent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report