Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knurl Feature in A Drawing File

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jksouthard2010
3257 Views, 8 Replies

Knurl Feature in A Drawing File

I have created a Chuck Cap of which applied a knurled material to the surface and i am not able to show any visual representation for that. I am only able to include a text leader telling that the surface is knurled rather than showing visualy. If anyone knows how i can make this possible in a drawing file I would greatly appreciate some advice or tips. Basically i was trying to figure out a way to represent in a drawing the applied material image from the original part file. I could use any ideas at this point.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: jksouthard2010

You can use a hatch pattern in the required area.

I always model the hatch on the part instead of using a texture/image.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
ifuks

RMB on the view. Select "Edit View". In the Style box click on "Shaded" button.
Message 4 of 9
mcgyvr

I didn't include that option because it looks cheesy to have shaded drawings. Not to mention on black and white printers that shaded views can cause confusion due to the lack of detail or other features that might be not as visable as a simple line drawing. I think a hatch or actually modeling the knurls is a much better method.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 9

that worked out great thanks alot. now i was wondering if there is a way that you can edit and alter the hatching and the way that it is displayed?
Message 6 of 9
ifuks

For better image: Document Settings-Drawing tab-Use bitmap-Offline Only.

If your printer has good resolution even in B/W Inventor 2009 produces nice views. I agree it can clutter in some cases but sometimes it even enhances drawing's readability. It does look more like illustration. Some people like it. Other idea is to shade isometric view and use the leader to specify hatch there. Try it sometime.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

If you are using Shaded Views in your IDW  then you can
alter the appearence of the Knurl by copying the Knurl color in the model file
(Format/Styles & Standard Editor) & renaming it.

Then adjust the new color's scale to suit & apply as
needed.

For example, I made several Knurl "colors" (fine,
medium & course) by just varying the scale on each. It does depend on how
big the object is your applying the Knurl to also as to whether the
names you choose are relevent.

Gary
Message 8 of 9

Thanks alot to all of you. You were very helpful and i took all of your advice and came up with a solution that turned out well.
Message 9 of 9
JDMather

>I didn't include that option because it looks cheesy to have shaded drawings.

I don't know about that. I have seen a lot of shaded detail drawings that actually are much easier to read than traditional drawings. As long as they are original even B/W with full gray scale looks pretty good. Copies on the other hand....
I think we might just have to revisit traditional standards, the point is to get good parts with fewer mistakes. While I have to teach traditional techniques I see a lot of value in shaded drawings in some cases.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report