Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
blaste
Message 1 of 45 (8,953 Views)

Keyboard shortcuts not working. Inv. 2011

8953 Views, 44 Replies
10-06-2010 07:49 AM

Has anyone noticed Keyboard shortcuts not working from time to time in Inv 2011? It's ultimately frustrating because I cannot figure out what is causing the issue. Sometimes restarting Inventor or opening the keyboard shortcuts customize window works and sometimes it doesn't. Standard default shortcuts like "ctrl + p" for printing and custom shortcuts I have added both don't function in Inv. but work just fine in other programs.

Another undesired problem is after rebooting our machines the Project file is switched back to default.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Inventor 2011 Simulation w/ SP1

Windows 7

Vault 2011

Product Support
bobvdd
Message 2 of 45 (8,912 Views)

Re: Keyboard shortcuts not working. Inv. 2011

10-07-2010 08:46 AM in reply to: blaste

Three questions.

1) If you go to Tools > Customize > Keyboard > Reset all keys. Do you still have the intermittent problem of CTRL+P not working? CTRL+P is a default shortcut key that comes with Inventor. No need to define it.

2) Concerning active ipj file not sticking. Does this also happen if you close Inventor cleanly (no crashes involved) before you reboot? Make sure that you have only one Inventor.exe process in Task Manager running before you close Inventor. I am suspecting that there could be a second stray Inventor process that somehow gets locks the ipj.

3) You can always export your shortcut customizations with Tools > Customize > Keyboard > Export ... and post it here so that we can have a look at it and see if there are conflicts of some sort.

Cheers.

Bob

Contributor
blaste
Message 3 of 45 (8,883 Views)

10-08-2010 10:39 AM in reply to: bobvdd

Bob,

1.) Resetting all keys did not fix the problem. I did not change any of the defaults but only added shortcuts to iproperties and check in/out from vault, those kinds of things. The common Windows default keyboard shortcuts work in all other programs but not in Inv. 2011. They worked for a little while but just stopping working one day or have been intermitant. Perhaps a recent Windows update caused problems.

2.)It seems to go back to the last "single user" project file only after a clean reboot. If inventor is closed and reopened it retains the same ipj. No other inventor.exe is running so i'm still unsure. i'm not the only one who is having the problem either. I created a new ipj for Inv. 2011 when we upgraded and haven't seen switching like this since Inv. 2008. I've attached the ipj in case you see something i've missed.

Thanks,

Product Support
bobvdd
Message 4 of 45 (8,874 Views)

10-08-2010 04:13 PM in reply to: blaste

I don't see anything abnormal in your ipj file other than it being a Vault project file.

What could be the difference between "single" user and Vault project files in this respect?

Maybe there is a read-only flag that gets in the way? But even that is very unlikely as we store the active project flag not in the individual ipj.

I would continue to monitor the Inventor.exe processes in Task Manager, especailly when closing Inventor sessions.

Also the Project Editor tool might help you monitor faster (no need to open Inventor to see which ipj is active).

Concerning the shortcut keys. Can you navigate to the command

Tools > Options > Customize... > [Keyboard] 
and check "Use default multi-character Command Aliases".

That will have as result that a small dialog will come up that shows all shortcut possibilities when you start typing on the keyboard. With this setting instead of CTRL + P you could simply define a shortcut called PRINT in the hope that it works better by taking a different approach to the shortcuts. Just a thought.

Bob

Contributor
blaste
Message 5 of 45 (8,829 Views)

10-19-2010 12:01 PM in reply to: bobvdd

Vault project file problem seems to be ok. I had the project file dir. and actual location in different places. Thanks.

Still having the keyboard shortcut problems. using multi-character cmd aliases doesn't help. it only makes shortcuts longer which seems a little backwards to me. What I find so frustrating about not being able to use shortcuts is that some work and some don't hitting "F1" brings up the help window as it should yet hitting "F7" won't slice graphics (when it's available of course) why do some work and some don't? my productivity is great decreased when most of the standard shorcuts don't work!

I've run a repair on Inv. 2011 & Vault with no change. Please Help!

Distinguished Mentor
john.retzlaff
Message 6 of 45 (8,831 Views)

10-19-2010 12:11 PM in reply to: blaste

I have had the problem with F7 slice graphics not working. If you click in the graphics window it will work.  Didn't have to do this with 2010.

John Retzlaff
*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 7 of 45 (8,823 Views)

10-19-2010 12:58 PM in reply to: john.retzlaff

I have seen the problem with F7 (slice graphics) too...

Also I keep deleting the hotkey CT (copy to construction) and it keeps coming back after a few days or so.. I haven't figured out the timeframe/trigger.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Pro
sbixler
Message 8 of 45 (8,789 Views)

10-20-2010 04:45 AM in reply to: blaste

I, too, have noticed the regression from 2010.  In 2011 the focus has to be in the graphics area of the screen for keyboard alias/shortcuts to work, which means that any mouse activity in the browser disables the keyboard (F6 for home view, for instance).  It only requires a click in the graphics area to re-activate, but this is annoying, and I'm not yet completely trained.  But this is definitely a regression and should not be allowed to carry over to 2012, or even to SP2.

Product Support
bobvdd
Message 9 of 45 (8,781 Views)

10-20-2010 10:39 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

We have a known regression defect around this with number 1351357.

So far I have been able to reproduce this with the F7 and the S shortcut (indicating that this is a more widespread framework issue in the code). I have not been succesful to reproduce this with the F6 key so far. Here are the workflows.

For S shortcut key for sketch creation:

1.Start new part

2.RMB in the browser and "Exit sketch"

3.Expand origin planes in browser

4.Select XY plane

5.Hit S --> nothing happens

For F7 shortcut key for slice graphics:

1.Create a box

2.Create a sketch on one of the midplanes of the box

3.Exit sketch with green checkmark (make sure to not click with your cursor in the graphics screen)

4.in the browser edit sketch again.

5.Hit F7 command for slice graphics --> nothing happens.

In both cases when you click in the graphics screen before step 5, the shortcut key works.

Bob

Distinguished Mentor
john.retzlaff
Message 10 of 45 (8,770 Views)

10-20-2010 10:41 AM in reply to: bobvdd

Thanks for verifying Bob.

John Retzlaff
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.