Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard shortcut to collapse browser tree?

39 REPLIES 39
SOLVED
Message 1 of 40
robmccune
7232 Views, 39 Replies

Keyboard shortcut to collapse browser tree?

I am migrating into Inventor from SolidWorks, which had a keyboard short cut for collapsing the parts tree in the browser.  Is there a similar command for IV?

39 REPLIES 39
Message 21 of 40
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: prachu

Hi prachu,

Thanks for the feed back. I'm running that rule on an older version of Inventor and didn't catch the change. I'll update the blog article so others won't have issues. I hope I didn't cause too much confusion for you.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 22 of 40

Hi jeanchile,

Thanks for the kind words. I think working with "real" Inventor users is where it's at. It's nice to see that the development team is starting to come around to this idea too. Smiley Wink

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 23 of 40
SBix26
in reply to: jeanchile

Jeanchile wrote:

>> And for the record, I have an add-in that I got from this forum somewhere for the rectangle tool (which I don't believe works in 2012)

Veering a bit further off topic, I installed Brian Hall's rectangle tool several versions back (2010?), and it has worked flawlessly with the following versions including 2012, without any action on my part.  Sorry it's not working for you-- maybe a fresh install?

Message 24 of 40
jeanchile
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

@jeanchile wrote:

Sorry it's not working for you-- maybe a fresh install?

I apologize, I should have been more clear in my post. I am actually not running 2012 yet (we don't upgrade until the next version is announced at my company). The one I have, stated specifically that it worked for 2010 & 2011 when I downloaded it and it didn't say 2012. I actually haven't tried it, I just remember what it said when I got it. It probably works, it just sucks that the installation of the next version doesn't take very long, but getting all of the functionality back after the upgrade takes forever because half of it came from six different blogs, two older versions, and thirteen different posts from this forumSmiley Wink. It's a joke because this "extra" crap we all have should just be a part of the stupid software.

Inventor Professional
Message 25 of 40
SBix26
in reply to: jeanchile

Well, at least for Brian's rectangle tool, you don't have to do anything at all, it just shows up in the new version.  This is a programming and/or installer question.  We have a custom add-in, written for us by an outside consultant, which behaves the same way-- once installed, it simply is available to each new version without any intervention.  If you have add-ins that don't work that way, it's possible that they could be modified to do so, reducing your migration workload.

Message 26 of 40
Millehuse

Anyone still using the "house cleaning" ilogic rule from this thread?

I've tried adding it to our template - but I get the following error

Error in rule: Cleaning, in document: C860_00.101352.iam
Unspecified error (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Unspecified error (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))
at System.RuntimeType.ForwardCallToInvokeMember(String memberName, BindingFlags flags, Object target, Int32[] aWrapperTypes, MessageData& msgData)
at Inventor.BrowserPaneObject.get_TopNode()
at LmiRuleScript.Main()
at Autodesk.iLogic.Exec.AppDomExec.ExecRuleInAssembly(Assembly assem)
at iLogic.RuleEvalContainer.ExecRuleEval(String execRule)

Any thoughts?

Message 27 of 40

Hi Millehuse,

If you use just this to collapse the browser in an assembly file, does it work?

'set a reference to the document 
Dim oDoc As Document 
oDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument 
'Set a reference to the top node of the active browser 
Dim oTopNode As BrowserNode 
oTopNode = oDoc.BrowserPanes.ActivePane.TopNode 
Dim oNode As BrowserNode 
For Each oNode In oTopNode.BrowserNodes 
' If the node is visible and expanded, collapse it. 
If oNode.Visible = True And oNode.Expanded = True Then 
oNode.Expanded = False 
End If 
Next

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 28 of 40

Hmmmm yes that actually seems to work, I wonder what caused the error then.

Thank you for your reply!

Message 29 of 40
JammieSeepaul
in reply to: robmccune

No shortcut key like solidworks has.

But you can right button click in the tree window and then hit the "s" key and that will collapse the tree items.

a little faster than trying to hit collapse all items with mouse.

Message 30 of 40
Luisfmts
in reply to: JammieSeepaul

Great, i was trying to find it in the right click menu, but this way is better 🙂

Message 31 of 40

Boa tarde, já conseguiu incluir? estou na versão 2023 e não achei esse atalho. Pode me ajudar? gostaria de eu poder escolher o atalho. Mas não encontrei como personalizar.

"Good afternoon, have you managed to include? I'm in version 2023 and I didn't find this shortcut. Can you help me? I wish I could choose the shortcut. But I couldn't find how to customize it."

Translated by Google
Traduzido por [@clacampos] através do Google Tradutor

Message 32 of 40
Luisfmts
in reply to: adriana_fideles

Oi @adriana_fideles ,

Clique com o botao direito na sua top assembly e aperte "s" no teclado.
É bem tranquilo depois que voce pega o costume 🙂

"Right click on your top assembly and press "s" on your keyboard.
It's pretty easy once you get used to it."

Translated by Google

Message 33 of 40
adriana_fideles
in reply to: Luisfmts

Obrigada. A minha versão é Inventor 2023 em português. Então tenho que clicar com o botão direito top assembly e apertar a letra "o". Porém, eu trabalhava com o solidworks então toda hora estou apertando (Shift+c) e a restrição abre porque o atalho de restringir é o "c", no solidworks retraia a árvore. Gostaria muito de eu poder escolher esses atalhos. Já troquei o que pude. Pois depois de 12 anos usando o solidworks está bem complicado a adaptação com o Inventor. 

"Thanks. My version is Inventor 2023 in Portuguese. So I have to right-click on the top assembly and hit the letter "o". However, I was working with solidworks so all the time I'm pressing (Shift+c) and the restriction opens because the shortcut for restricting is "c", in solidworks it retracts the tree. I would love to be able to choose these shortcuts. I already changed what I could. Because after 12 years using solidworks it is very complicated to adapt with Inventor."

Translated by Google

Message 34 of 40
Luisfmts
in reply to: adriana_fideles

@adriana_fideles ,

Da um olhada no gif que eu fiz. Teoricamente funcionaria tanto na versao em ingles como na em portgues, porem nao posso te afirmar absoluta certeza. 

Fiz um print da janela que abre quando voce clica com o botao direito do mouse na top assembly. Se reparar bem existe uma opcao "Collapse All Children" na parte inferior.  O "S" está grifado na palavra  "Collapse"... talvez se em portugues essa opcao esteja diferente em vez do "S" outra letra vai estar grifada. Entao é só usar: botao direito e depois essa tecla de atalho.

botao direito + s.pngCollapse Browser Nodes.gif

"Check out the gif I made. Theoretically, it would work in both the English and Portuguese versions, but I can't say for sure.

I made a print of the window that opens when you click with the right mouse button on the top assembly. If you look closely there is an option "Collapse All Children" at the bottom. The "S" is underlined in the word "Collapse"... maybe if in Portuguese this option is different instead of the "S" another letter will be underlined. So just use: right button and then this shortcut key."

Translated by Google

Message 35 of 40
adriana_fideles

adriana_fideles_0-1683888118204.png

Obrigada. Então como falei anteriormente, a minha versão é Inventor 2023 em português. Para retrair preciso clicar com o botão direito no top assembly e apertar a letra "o", como pode ver na imagem. Não ajuda muito, pois já sou viciada em não clicar em nada apenas apertar no teclado (Shift+c), então a restrição abre porque o atalho de restringir é o "c", no solidworks retraia a árvore. Gostaria muito de eu poder escolher esses atalhos. Infelizmente alguns não dá para mudar.

Message 36 of 40
ndenboer59JP5
in reply to: robmccune

I was also looking for a nice shift+c hotkey (that is available in Solidworks). The easiest alternative I could find is right-click on the feature tree and hit 'S'.

Message 37 of 40

This were said about 11 and a half year ago:

@SteveMDennis wrote:

You cannot do this today because those commands are not "real" commands per se. Only full blown commands can have shortcuts.

We have noted this in our database for possible inclusion in future releases.

and it is as far as I can see still not possible.. 
or am I mistaking about that ?

And yes, I know, I can right click and waste time time finding "collapse all" in the list, but I would very much prefer to have a shortcut instead.

Message 38 of 40
MBPedersen_DK

@Luisfmts wrote:

Oi @adriana_fideles ,

Clique com o botao direito na sua top assembly e aperte "s" no teclado.
É bem tranquilo depois que voce pega o costume 🙂

"Right click on your top assembly and press "s" on your keyboard.
It's pretty easy once you get used to it."

Translated by Google

Oh, nice, I missed this message before, thanks for the advise.
I can 't guess, why the shortcut is "s" but it works and I am happy with this trick 🙂

Message 39 of 40
SBix26
in reply to: MBPedersen_DK

That's a menu shortcut, common to many Windows applications.  Those menu shortcut keys are underlined so you know which are available (c for Create New Folder, m for Measure, i for iProperties, etc.).

SBix26_0-1689868567829.png

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024.1 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 40 of 40
MBPedersen_DK

Oh yeah, I see. I didn't notice that here, but I do know it from other places, and it makes perfect good sense 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report