Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just to Clarify (Inv 2015)

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
wimann
767 Views, 17 Replies

Just to Clarify (Inv 2015)

So I had my shortcuts set up in Inv 2014, exported and saved them, then imported them to Inv 2015.

My issue is this, it seems that Inventor no longer allows different commands to one key in different environments.

For example:

C - centerpoint circle in the sketch environment

C - constraint in the assembly environment

Or, at least, that's how it worked in 2014.

Is there something I need to update or something? I feel like it would be a really illogical change to make Inventor not filter available commands by the active environment.

Thanks,

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: wimann

Have you updated INV2015..

I believe this was fixed in a service pack or something. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 18
wimann
in reply to: mcgyvr

I've got SP1 Update 1. Is there another?

-Will Mann

Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 4 of 18
wimann

@wimann wrote:

Found Update 2. I'll give it a shot.

-Will Mann

Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 5 of 18
mcgyvr

@wimann wrote:

I think you might just have to redo them.

center point circle in sketch was setup as ctrl+shift+c or something on mine.. once I manually change it it works just fine now.

I think SP1 fixed part if not all of the issue but you still need to manually redo them or something.. There is a post about it around here somewhere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 6 of 18
mcgyvr

So yeah.. seems like they just changed a few of the hotkey defaults in 2015.. 

You just need to manaully fix them..

Searching for "2015 hotkey" brings up some of the posts.. I thought there was one where an Autodesk employee said it was fixed but you have to manually correct the ones going forward but I can't find that post.. 

Just fix them as you want and be done.. Should just take a few minutes. 

Message 7 of 18
wimann

I guess part of my issue is not necessarily setting them up, it's that in 2014, the same hotkey executed two different commands depending on which environment I was in. Now it seems I'm going to have to redo (reassign to different hotkeys) a bunch of commands because inventor no longer seems to differentiate between environments.

The hot keys I have aren't really incorrect. C should mean center point circle in a sketch, but when I'm in an assembly, it should mean constraint with no further clarification (no ctrl, shift nor alt).

That's the way it used to be anyway

-Will Mann

Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 8 of 18
mcgyvr

@wimann wrote:

I guess part of my issue is not necessarily setting them up, it's that in 2014, the same hotkey executed two different commands depending on which environment I was in. Now it seems I'm going to have to redo (reassign to different hotkeys) a bunch of commands because inventor no longer seems to differentiate between environments.

The hot keys I have aren't really incorrect. C should mean center point circle in a sketch, but when I'm in an assembly, it should mean constraint with no further clarification (no ctrl, shift nor alt).

That's the way it used to be anyway

oh yes.. sorry I didn't notice it.

My C was constrain (assy) and then I created a new part and set C to center point circle.. I didn't go back into the assembly to see if C was still constrain.. and now I see the problem.. I still believe there was a post around here about this (and when/if it will be fixed).. still trying to find it. 

Message 9 of 18
mcgyvr

ok nevermind.. Its still broken.. SP1 did not fix it..

SP1 only fixed the T hotkey in IDW starting a sketch issue..

Message 10 of 18
JDMather

Maybe they are trying to force use of the Marking Menu guesture based modeling.

Guesture Based Modeling.png

I'm starting to get pretty good at this, but now have to hesitate so that my students see what I did.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 18
wimann
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Frustrated I could get used to it but I certainly hope that's not what they're doing.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully this will be patched. There's no reason to remove the ability for inventor to distinguish hotkeys by the active environment. Especially since you specify the environment when setting up the hotkey.

-Will Mann

Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 12 of 18
salariua

I tell you what, I like this new behaviour. It seemed weird at the beginning creating circles when all I wanted is constrains but I love it now.

I can start a circle (and sketch) by pressing cr now. If I want constraint I pres C and SPACE just like in autocad to finalize the command.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 13 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: salariua

It follows Autodesks clear motto/trend of "Two mouse clicks are always better than one"

It makes NO sense at all to have an available/active hotkey for creating a sketch circle outside of a sketch let alone in the assembly environment. Just plain stupid/amateur hour stuff.. 

Message 14 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I've got a guesture for them 🙂

Message 15 of 18
wimann

I know autodesk doesn't necessarily skim this forum for information on product improvement but I'd like to keep this thread afloat in hopes that one of the autodesk employees may at least take note of it. Maybe jonishasdlkhr (I don't know his forum handle but if you've been on here long enough, you probably know who I'm talking about).

Certainly this is a bug and can be fixed if it's brought to light.

-Will Mann

Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 16 of 18
mcgyvr

@wimann wrote:

I know autodesk doesn't necessarily skim this forum for information on product improvement but I'd like to keep this thread afloat in hopes that one of the autodesk employees may at least take note of it. Maybe jonishasdlkhr (I don't know his forum handle but if you've been on here long enough, you probably know who I'm talking about).

Certainly this is a bug and can be fixed if it's brought to light.

They monitor the forums quite often.. just don't accept anything as an asnwer and you will get an email shortly asking why you haven't accepted a solution and if you need additional help.. Pick no and they will get sent here. 🙂

Message 17 of 18
bob_holland

Will,

I know that there is an issue with shortcuts in Inventor installed from the Factory Suite.

What Suite did you install your Inventor from?

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 18 of 18
wimann
in reply to: bob_holland

Bob,

I've got the "Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015" if that's what you're asking.

Thanks,

-Will Mann

Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report