Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

join spline and line into one unit...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
justmike65
3640 Views, 4 Replies

join spline and line into one unit...

This is my first post, and I am totally new to Inventor. I have a lot of experience in Illustrator and Photoshop; what I want to do is possible in those programs, but I have not figured out how to do it in Inventor.

Essentialy, I want to make a closed path from a spline and a straight line— this will become a custom shape that I want to turn into a solid. Is it possible or should I just use the split feature?

In the end, I am trying to make a solid that is similar to a section of this necklace, minus the curved portion that connected them to the necklace, itself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

necklace.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: justmike65

A spline and a line will automatically be a closed path (if it is created that way) in Inventor.

Attach your attempt here. (*.ipt file)

You might go through these.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
JavaLodge

When you're making your sketch, you'll have to make sure the endpoints of the lines are coincedent.  You can visually determine if they are by pressing F8.  A yellow box will appear over any two points that are coincedent.  If needed, you can make the line tangent to the spline by using the tanget constraint, which ensure a smooth transition from the straight line to the curved portion.  Both the coincedent and tanget constraints are in the 'Constrain' section of the Sketch tab.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help! I will try that after I read your attachments. Don't laugh at this too hard, lol. I know the two shapes are not on the same plane... first attemmpt at a 3-d sketch...

Message 5 of 5
JDMather

I suspect that Autodesk Fusion 360 might be better suited to what you are trying to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report