Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jogged or break radius leader

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dlitton
4109 Views, 7 Replies

jogged or break radius leader

how to jog or break a radius leader for a radius dimensioned from centermark which is off the sheet (radius = 200"). I need the centermark included in the view as I must dimension other features to it. Haven't been able to find the right setting/options. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: dlitton

Hi dlitton,

If understand correctly, to get what you're looking for you can start the Dimension tool and then click the arc, then right click and choose Options > Jogged.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 8
dlitton
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thanks Curtis. I did this but it only shows a jogged dimension and does not include the centermark. I need the centermark to show up in the view, not placed 200" away (oof the sheet) because I need to place additional dimensions to that centermark. Trying to find a way for the centermark to show with a leader to the radius, said leader having a break or jogged annotation. Grateful for any help to this goal.

Message 4 of 8
dlitton

maybe the sketch below may help explain what I need to accomplish. Have not been able to find a way to get the centermark into the view on the sheet.

jog hole.png

Message 5 of 8
SBix26

In the absence of a proper tool to accomplish this, the only workaround that I have found is to create a very tiny feature at the center of the radius, so tiny that it's not visible on the drawing.  This allows the view to be broken, bringing the center mark onto the drawing sheet, and linear dimensions will be applied correctly.  But the radial dimension will not be properly jogged to pass through the displaced center mark.

I thought I had created an IdeaStation post about this, but I can't find any such thing-- must have been entered on the old wish list before the IdeaStation came to be.  I will try to create one and link here.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2014 SP2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 6 of 8
JamieVJohnson2
in reply to: SBix26

It may be a little late to post this, but I want to begin to change the industry concept standard about Jogged Radius.  The shops are always concerned with how to create the arc shape required on paper, thinking center point location of radius is required, when it is in fact not. In addition, it would be rediculous for them to attempt to locate the centerpoint of a very large radius in their shop, where it would lie in another city block across the street.

Jogged Radius: A radius with a zig-zag at the end of the line designating an off the page center point. They are used when the center of a circle or an arc is out of the paper or located within other part of the drawing.

In lieu of knowing the exact Center Point, the absolute definition of an Arc can be found from a Start Point, an End Point, a Radius and a Bend Direction.

In the image below, the black rectangular outline shows an Arc running through it bent inward (concave). Knowing this anybody can construct a circle with the specified Radius at each end (blue circles) of the Arc to find the Center Point of the Arc. There will be only 2 possible solutions (purple circles), and the Bend Direction will then weed out which intersection is the correct Center Point. 

So when using a jogged radius dimension on an arc, be sure to locate the start point and end point of the arc, and your design is good to go.

JoggedRadius.jpg

jvj
Message 7 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: JamieVJohnson2

Mathematically you are certainly correct: the center point is not necessary to construct an arc, as long as everything else is known.  But a drawing (in our business, at least) is not purely a manufacturing "recipe"-- it captures design intent, too, and so there are tradeoffs in the information that is shown (and that's why there are such things as reference dimensions).  Sometimes the location of the center point is important, because it coincides with other components or some datum of the device being constructed.

Being able to use a displaced center point allows this to be documented efficiently and clearly on a drawing, and that's why there is a section in the ANSI drawing standard describing it.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 8 of 8
anthony.cannella

The original drawing looks like a marine vessel stabilizer fin, or rudder maybe ...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums