Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV8 v IV9 Loft Capabilities

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
184 Views, 12 Replies

IV8 v IV9 Loft Capabilities

Does IV9 have better lofting capabilities than IV8? Numerous attempts to loft along multiple arc rails failed, and compound curve surfaces won't extrude. With all the problems in IV9, I have been hesitant to upgrade, but if there are significant surfacing and lofting capabilities, it would be worth the upgrade. Any input would be welcome. Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

What's new in surfacing Inventor 9? Pls. see attached file. "Jon B. Jacob" wrote in message news:41fd7df5_1@newsprd01... > Does IV9 have better lofting capabilities than IV8? Numerous > attempts to loft along multiple arc rails failed, and > compound curve surfaces won't extrude. With all the problems > in IV9, I have been hesitant to upgrade, but if there are > significant surfacing and lofting capabilities, it would be > worth the upgrade. Any input would be welcome. > > Thanks.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Post an example of something you are having a problem with.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

The attached drawing shows the surface that I would like. By replacing the 2-line rail with a single line, I was able to loft a surface and thicken it without errors. With some variations, a surface loft was created OK. But when it was thickened to the same thickness as the adjoining solids, tangency errors would result. If it was thickened to 1/2 the thickness, it would work as well as thickening the wrong direction. If you are running IV9, I would be curious if this example works. Thanks. JDMATHER wrote: > Post an example of something you are having a problem with.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Like this? -- Rui
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Jon, FWIW, The thicken direction can be controlled by the This way (surface normal direction), That way (opposite to surface normal), or Both ways button on the thicken dialog. I'm assuming you could use that to get the thicken in the right direction. Just curious what you meant by "as well as thickening the wrong direction". Thanks. shekar "Jon B. Jacob" wrote in message news:41fe4735_1@newsprd01... > The attached drawing shows the surface that I would like. By > replacing the 2-line rail with a single line, I was able to > loft a surface and thicken it without errors. > > With some variations, a surface loft was created OK. But > when it was thickened to the same thickness as the adjoining > solids, tangency errors would result. If it was thickened to > 1/2 the thickness, it would work as well as thickening the > wrong direction. > > If you are running IV9, I would be curious if this example > works. > > Thanks. > > JDMATHER wrote: > > Post an example of something you are having a problem with. >
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Rui, I couldn't open the file up - it appears to be in IV9. Could you forward a .bmp? Thanks. Rui Vaz wrote: > Like this? >
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Jon, Inventor 8 can create a loft surface and thicken it with no problem. Please try the following steps: 1. Open the Carbon_Elevation_Loft.ipt in Inventor 8. 2. Delete the Sketch107 (The sketch is unnecessary). 3. Delete the Sketch106 (The sketch is unnecessary). 4. Invoke the Loft tool. 5. Press the Surface button. 6. Click on "Click to add" in the Section list. 7. Click two edges for first section (See the attached screenshot). 8. Click on "Click to add" in the Section list. 9. Click two edges for second section (See the attached screenshot). 10. Click on "Click to add" in the Rail list. 11. Click the Sketch96. 12. Click the Sketch105 (The projected line is unnecessary, but it's okay to keep it). 13. Hit the OK button. 14. Invoke the Thicken tool. 15. Select the Quilt option. 16. Select the Loft Surface in the graphics window. 17. Enter "0.094 in" for distance. 18. Press the Second arrow button (to flip the thicken direction). 19. Hit the OK button 20. Turn off the visibility of the Loft Surface. You should see a model like the attached screenshot. HTH, Glenn "Jon B. Jacob" wrote in message news:41fe4735_1@newsprd01... > The attached drawing shows the surface that I would like. By > replacing the 2-line rail with a single line, I was able to > loft a surface and thicken it without errors. > > With some variations, a surface loft was created OK. But > when it was thickened to the same thickness as the adjoining > solids, tangency errors would result. If it was thickened to > 1/2 the thickness, it would work as well as thickening the > wrong direction. > > If you are running IV9, I would be curious if this example > works. > > Thanks.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

BTW, you don't have to project edges or loops to a 2D or 3D sketch in order to create a section or rail. Valid selections for loft SECTIONS: - 2D Sketch - 3D Sketch - Face Loop (for Loft Solid only) - Edges (for Loft Surface only) Valid selections for loft RAILS: - 2D Sketch - 3D Sketch - Edges Glenn
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Better yet. Sorry, I thought you had IV9. Got to pay more attention to what I read. Basically, I followed Glenn's workflow. I created a few 3D Sketches to make life easy for myself instead of redefining sketches. Didn't try lofting as a solid. -- Rui
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

It looks nice. Glen suggested a technique that also worked using IV8. Think I will hold off from IV9 for the present. Thanks for your interest! Jon Rui Vaz wrote: > Better yet. > > Sorry, I thought you had IV9. Got to pay more attention to what I read. > > Basically, I followed Glenn's workflow. I created a few 3D Sketches to > make life easy for myself instead of redefining sketches. > > Didn't try lofting as a solid. > >
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Worked like a champ. I was using two sections and essentially three rails, whereas you were using three sections and two rails. On occasion, I was able to get a surface with my approach, but could not thicken it to the required thickness. Thanks!. Jon Glenn Chun (Autodesk, Inc.) wrote: > Jon, > > Inventor 8 can create a loft surface and thicken it with no problem. > > Please try the following steps: > > 1. Open the Carbon_Elevation_Loft.ipt in Inventor 8. > 2. Delete the Sketch107 (The sketch is unnecessary). > 3. Delete the Sketch106 (The sketch is unnecessary). > 4. Invoke the Loft tool. > 5. Press the Surface button. > 6. Click on "Click to add" in the Section list. > 7. Click two edges for first section (See the attached screenshot). > 8. Click on "Click to add" in the Section list. > 9. Click two edges for second section (See the attached screenshot). > 10. Click on "Click to add" in the Rail list. > 11. Click the Sketch96. > 12. Click the Sketch105 (The projected line is unnecessary, but it's okay to > keep it). > 13. Hit the OK button. > 14. Invoke the Thicken tool. > 15. Select the Quilt option. > 16. Select the Loft Surface in the graphics window. > 17. Enter "0.094 in" for distance. > 18. Press the Second arrow button (to flip the thicken direction). > 19. Hit the OK button > 20. Turn off the visibility of the Loft Surface. > > You should see a model like the attached screenshot. > > HTH, > Glenn > > "Jon B. Jacob" wrote in message > news:41fe4735_1@newsprd01... > >>The attached drawing shows the surface that I would like. By >>replacing the 2-line rail with a single line, I was able to >>loft a surface and thicken it without errors. >> >>With some variations, a surface loft was created OK. But >>when it was thickened to the same thickness as the adjoining >>solids, tangency errors would result. If it was thickened to >>1/2 the thickness, it would work as well as thickening the >>wrong direction. >> >>If you are running IV9, I would be curious if this example >>works. >> >>Thanks. > > >
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Jon, I was using two sections and two rails. Each section consists of two edges. Glenn "Jon B. Jacob" wrote in message news:41feadd8_1@newsprd01... > Worked like a champ. I was using two sections and > essentially three rails, whereas you were using three > sections and two rails. On occasion, I was able to get a > surface with my approach, but could not thicken it to the > required thickness. Thanks!. Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report