Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV8 - Tangent Lines in Sheet Metal Flat Patterns

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mmiller1
542 Views, 10 Replies

IV8 - Tangent Lines in Sheet Metal Flat Patterns

All of our flat patterns that we generate have tangent lines and bend lines in them. For example, make a flat pattern of an L-shaped bracket. The single form will be described by three lines in the flat pattern - a single form line and a tangent line on each side of the form line.

The tangent lines are causing problems. We must manually delete them. Is there a way to tell Inventor to export the form lines only - No tangent lines at all?

Thanks,

Mike
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mmiller1

Double Click on the view.
See attached.
Message 3 of 11
mmiller1

Oops. Let me clarify. We do not create our flat patterns from IDWs. We open the 3D view of the flat pattern, RMB and select "save as dxf". This writes the flat pattern directly into Autocad minus any title block which would have to be deleted anyway.

So let me restate my question more clearly: Is there a way to turn off the tangent lines when exporting a flat pattern directly from the 3D flat pattern window into Autocad (dxf or dwg)?

Thanks,

Mike
Message 4 of 11
tdrawdy

Are you using a laser to produce the parts or punching them out?
Message 5 of 11
mmiller1

We are using new punching and forming equipment that requires a clean dxf or dwg (form lines only - no title block, tangent lines, text, etc...) We have a vendor that uses a laser. He too requires a clean dxf or dwg.

I just need to get rid of the tangent lines. Having to open the dwg or dxf file to clean up all the tangent lines is taking too much time. Is there a way to get rid of the tangent lines?

Mike
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

It has been a while since I looked at exporting to Autocad, but don't the tangent lines get put on a separate layer, that would just require turning off? -- Kent Keller http://www.KWiKMcad.com Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator "mmiller" wrote in message news:12769076.1100270949371.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > We are using new punching and forming equipment that requires a clean > dxf or dwg (form lines only - no title block, tangent lines, text, > etc...) We have a vendor that uses a laser. He too requires a clean > dxf or dwg. > > I just need to get rid of the tangent lines. Having to open the dwg > or dxf file to clean up all the tangent lines is taking too much time. > Is there a way to get rid of the tangent lines? > > Mike
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Yep, IV_tangent layer.
Just turn it off or delete by layer.

Just learned two new things on this question alone.
This has been a very productive week for me in terms of learning new techniques from this group.
I am amazed at how much new stuff is uncovered here after I thought I had a pretty good handle on the software. Makes me shudder every time a newbe question comes up.

J.D. Mather
Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert????????
Message 8 of 11
tdrawdy

Ok........so do we. The only difference is that we have a laser in house! It has been my experience that a secondary clean-up of the drawing is required in the dxf or dwg file to work around the punches that are in standard locations in the turret of the cnc punch press. It takes a little more time, but has improved production. Are you experiencing the same problem? For parts that have to be edited in AutoCAD, we turn the layer that the tangent lines are on, off.
Also, we have been using Metalsoft for the cnc programming with good results. What are you using?
Also, when importing that file into metalsoft, we are prompted to remove the layer that the tangent lines are on. Does your software do the same?
Message 9 of 11
mmiller1

We have a manufacturing division that takes care of all the programming for the machines. I know that they must go into the flat patterns and assign the proper punches to the areas where we specify nail holes, lances, etc...This is something that they must do just like you. As far as what programs they are using - I do not know. I just know that tangent lines are a no-no for the software they use.
Message 10 of 11
SemiCatS

I had the same problem, and made myself a couple of custom button in ACAD, that takes care of the problem.
Button 1.
A Zoom extents
B Turn off layers: IV_OUTER_PROFILE, IV_INTERIOR_PROFILES, IV_FEATURE_PROFILES.
C Erases the unwanted geometry
D Turns the "off" layers back on again.
E Purges everything not needed.

Button 2
Changes lineweight for the remaining layers

Button 3
Creates the VPORT layer and sets it to "not printed", makes a viewport that fits on the paper and plotter you've already chosen and places your geometry nicely within the vport.

Code for the buttons are as follows:
Button 1:
^C^Cz e _-la Off IV_OUTER_PROFILE ^C^C_-la Off IV_FEATURE_PROFILES ^C^C_-la Off IV_INTERIOR_PROFILES ^C^CErase w -1E10,-1E10 1E10,1E10 ^C^C_-la On IV_OUTER_PROFILE ^C^C_-la On IV_FEATURE_PROFILES ^C^C_-la On IV_INTERIOR_PROFILE ^C^C_-pu A * N

Button 2:
^C^Cz e _-la LW Default IV_OUTER_PROFILE ^C^C_-la LW Default IV_FEATURE_PROFILES ^C^C_-la LW Default IV_INTERIOR_PROFILES ^C^C

Button 3:
^C^C-layer N VPORT S VPORT P N _-vports F
Message 11 of 11
mmiller1

Cool! I'll pass this information on and see if we can use it.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report