Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV8 IDW to DXF problem with scale options

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
731 Views, 12 Replies

IV8 IDW to DXF problem with scale options

Let me first say, I may be doing something wrong; but have tried many options so far, and the solution is not apparent.

Since Inventor 5.3, we have daily exported IDW files of fabrication drawings to DXF files that have views of various models (components) at different scales - details if you will. Exporting the IDW to DXF w/o dimensions gave us a single file that had 1:1 model views such that said file could be sent to any customer or vendor with CNC capability to use views as input (ie. flat patterns).

Now, there are two options for scaling, neither of which seemed to produce this result. Scaling by sheet only made one set of views "right", and the other option of 1:1 as scaled in inventor made them all whatever they were represented as before.

HELP!!!!! (and thanks) Steven
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I noticed this as well. We made a pile of sheet metal parts to be sent out
for laser cutting. I was *astonished* that the scales of the output dxf
files were wrong, irrespective of the settings in the dxf output dialogue
boxes.

I can't believe this could be happening, esp. with all the heat Adesk has
taken over idw output. I don't think you are doing anything wrong, it
appears to be a blunderous bug.

We redid the files by exporting them to r2000 dwg format, model geometry
only, and made sure the actual views were 1:1 before exporting. This may
have worked for dxf out as well.

Gary

"steved" wrote in message
news:f1a6aa5.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Let me first say, I may be doing something wrong; but have tried many
options so far, and the solution is not apparent.
> Since Inventor 5.3, we have daily exported IDW files of fabrication
drawings to DXF files that have views of various models (components) at
different scales - details if you will. Exporting the IDW to DXF w/o
dimensions gave us a single file that had 1:1 model views such that said
file could be sent to any customer or vendor with CNC capability to use
views as input (ie. flat patterns).
>
> Now, there are two options for scaling, neither of which seemed to produce
this result. Scaling by sheet only made one set of views "right", and the
other option of 1:1 as scaled in inventor made them all whatever they were
represented as before.
>
> HELP!!!!! (and thanks) Steven
>
Message 3 of 13
Kevin R (Adsk)

Hello,
I have sent your post to the development team.
Stay tuned.
Kevin
Message 4 of 13
Kevin R (Adsk)

Hello Steve,
I am cannot reproduce the problem you described.
Can you please send me a sample idw to test?
Thanks,
Kevin
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Here is an IDW to test (part 1 - see next message). BTW, there really seems to be no obvious efficient workaround. I thought I might be able to just scale everything to 1:1 in IDW and then saveas DXF; but apparently there is yet another difference - the lines are not blocked per view, making it an absolute nightmare to seperate and use. AND because there is no reverse compatability between 8 and 7, I cannot merely re-install version 7, re convert the model back to 7, and then follow the old routine. HELLLPPPP - THIS IS KILLING US!!!
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

part 2 of test
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Could you provide more details about the problems you are seeing, as well as the export settings you are using? I exported the attached IDW to DXF (and DWG) and did not see any glaring problems. Thanks Joe "steved" wrote in message news:4950088.1071529316543.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Here is an IDW to test (part 1 - see next message). BTW, there really seems to be no obvious efficient workaround. I thought I might be able to just scale everything to 1:1 in IDW and then saveas DXF; but apparently there is yet another difference - the lines are not blocked per view, making it an absolute nightmare to seperate and use. AND because there is no reverse compatability between 8 and 7, I cannot merely re-install version 7, re convert the model back to 7, and then follow the old routine. HELLLPPPP - THIS IS KILLING US!!!
Message 8 of 13
Kevin R (Adsk)

For AIS r8 the scaling value used for the export is based on the first view created per sheet. In your example that is why some of the views are correct. As work around you could create another sheet where all the views have the same scale to avoid the problem.
I am still a little unclear what your IDW's looked like in R7 prior to an export? And what the result was, maybe you could describe those two for me.
-kevin
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

DETAILS OF THE PROBLEM:

We have many fabrications and so on that we purchase versus make. For example, say that the fabrication is made up of 3 formed sheet metal parts called A, B, and C. On a D-sized sheet say there are thriew views of the fab placed first, say at 0.2 scale. Then details of the parts are put on the same page: views of part A is at 0.5 scale, including the flat pattern; views of part B is at 0.3 scale, including the flat pattern; and part C is at 0.7.

In the past, a "saveas" DXF exported the IDW to a file where each view was: a) exported as a "block" (lines were grouped by view) and, b) each view was at 1:1 despite what thier view scale was in the IDW (appeared to revert to the model true scale). This is VERY important because the exported file would be sent to the winning bidder, and they would copy flat pattern over to thier CNC.

I have tried every combination of setting I could find to duplicate the output we used to get as default. Nothing I did, or friends at Advanced Solutions, got this result, or anything close to it. Settings included every combination of export version (3) AND export view scale (2) options.

WORKAROUND IS NOT AN OPTION, BUT CATASTROPHE

We have hundreds of files like these. Going back and changing all the views to 1:1, adding sheets to accomidate that, and so on, is enough to send our owner through the roof. At a minnimum, he would demand his money back for 8 and ask us to go back to 7. Then when I tell him that we cant change migrated files from 8 back to 7 (that was my first choice as a work around - to use our old copy of inventor just for exporting to DXF), he would swear off Autodesk all together.

I hope this is enough detail.
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

we got the same problem here, changed from version 7 to 8 and views are not truely 1:1. this is going to slow our production down bigtime!
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Sheet metal flat patterns should be exported from the MODEL for accuracy. Right-click on the flat pattern in the feature browser and select Save Copy As - DXF. Dennis steved wrote: >DETAILS OF THE PROBLEM: > >We have many fabrications and so on that we purchase versus make. For example, say that the fabrication is made up of 3 formed sheet metal parts called A, B, and C. On a D-sized sheet say there are thriew views of the fab placed first, say at 0.2 scale. Then details of the parts are put on the same page: views of part A is at 0.5 scale, including the flat pattern; views of part B is at 0.3 scale, including the flat pattern; and part C is at 0.7. > >In the past, a "saveas" DXF exported the IDW to a file where each view was: a) exported as a "block" (lines were grouped by view) and, b) each view was at 1:1 despite what thier view scale was in the IDW (appeared to revert to the model true scale). This is VERY important because the exported file would be sent to the winning bidder, and they would copy flat pattern over to thier CNC. > >I have tried every combination of setting I could find to duplicate the output we used to get as default. Nothing I did, or friends at Advanced Solutions, got this result, or anything close to it. Settings included every combination of export version (3) AND export view scale (2) options. > >WORKAROUND IS NOT AN OPTION, BUT CATASTROPHE > >We have hundreds of files like these. Going back and changing all the views to 1:1, adding sheets to accomidate that, and so on, is enough to send our owner through the roof. At a minnimum, he would demand his money back for 8 and ask us to go back to 7. Then when I tell him that we cant change migrated files from 8 back to 7 (that was my first choice as a work around - to use our old copy of inventor just for exporting to DXF), he would swear off Autodesk all together. > >I hope this is enough detail. > > -- Dennis Jeffrey Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Tekni Omicron - Center for Design Excellence http://www.design-excellence.com 260-459-1311x 221 or 800-550-6070 x 221
Message 12 of 13
Kevin R (Adsk)

Sorry for the delay in a response, a large portion of ADSK is on holiday.
Understanding the workaround I posted earlier is not suitable for the number of drawings you have I have escalated this to the development team.
I am unsure at this time what the next step will be, so hopefully we can resolve this soon.
Message 13 of 13
cnewmanVIK

Could someone tell me if this has been resolved in INV 9? Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report