Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV2015 Stress Analysis

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
spackle42
284 Views, 6 Replies

IV2015 Stress Analysis

I'm trying to run an analysis on a diesel tank designed by another engineer. The issue I'm having is that when I ask IV to generate either the mesh or automatic contacts, (Or just run simulation) the progress bar runs through as normal but then doesn't produce a result. No error meassages, no crash, just decides that it doesn't want to complete the operation.  The only thing of note is the thin bodies warning.  I've looked at similar tanks with the same warning before without issue so I can't see why this one should be any different.

The zipped pack & go is 15Mb so I haven't been able to include it here.

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: spackle42

hi Justin, it has been a while but i think it sounds like your fea settings are set to default for processing solids. try switching to thin body settings. (i am not near my inventor otherwise i would attach some screenshots).

in earlier versions (pre 2013 if i recall) the option was not available, and, if the ratio of length and width Vs thickness reached a certain processing limit, the simulation would not proceed. cannot recall if there was just a hang, or if there was some kind of error feedback. like i said it was a while ago.

ps- i just found another post or three in here about a guy who does fea on tanks and vessels. he talks about converting the tank to a surface then import to his fea environment.

hope this helps... & sorry if you already tried this.

-Mark.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 7
blair

Upload the file to your A360 account and make the document public and post the link.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 7
salariua

Midsurface as mentioned before or, if symmetric split 3 times and do the calc on 1/8 of the part, with frictionless constraints to simulate symmetry.

Midsurface seems faster though, I would run them both and compare results.

2015-01-20_10-24-03.png

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
vex
Collaborator

An alternative to what the others have stated would be to replace your constraints or forces (delete and place new ones). I've run into this issue before a few times and it's always come down to a bad constraint or force (or on occasion a malformed mesh element). Also ensure that your textures are set to on.

Message 6 of 7
spackle42
in reply to: salariua

Thanks Adrian,

It's an assembly and the split option was greyed out so I just used extrude to remove half of the model (It's a pack & go precisely for this reason.  Now working fine.  Still can't see why IV got upset in the first place, but nevermind...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
Message 7 of 7
salariua

You're welcome.

It's been a while since I've done any tanks and I am sure you know all this but I will mention it anyway.

Your tank might not look like my quick rough model so you might not expect any singularities from that sharp corner as I have but if you can't get it to converge then do a couple of simulations with different mesh settings (manual result convergence).

I usually go 0.2 , 0.1 , 0.05 on the average element size and compare the results. Once a calc has been done you can copy the simulation change mesh settings and run it again.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report