Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV2014 - Moving origin whe importing skecth using "Derive"?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
hfds006
392 Views, 5 Replies

IV2014 - Moving origin whe importing skecth using "Derive"?

No luck searching so I'll just ask.

When importing a skecth using the Derive command is it possible to place the origin of the sketch at a location other than its location in the original part?

Thanks in advance,

Richard in Houston

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: hfds006

I can't think of a way, so maybe the question Why? would prompt an alternative technique.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
hfds006
in reply to: JDMather

WHY? No fair answering with a question I can't answer. LOL More just a general curiousity question.

We have a few details that get repeated in a variety of other parts. If I could have a common file with the base sketch and just import and locate as needed that seems like it would make for a very simple workflow.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

iFeatures

or maybe Sketch Blocks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
hfds006
in reply to: JDMather

I'm not very familiar with iFeatures or Sketch Blocks.

I guess its time to learn something new.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 6
newcomer

I had the same problem, before I learned about "Sketch Blocks".  The name is not suggestive of anything, but it turns out to be important.  A "Sketch block" defines a sketch that can be relocated when it is derived.  An obvious name like "Relocatable Sketch" might have been helpful.  Just mark the sketch as a "Sketch Block" (look for the unassuming "Create Block" icon in the "Layout" section of the sketch menu bar). 

I've found that the documentation for Inventor seems to follow one of two models: (a) you can't find the idea with an obvious search string; if you know the thing you are searching for, by its Inventor name, you can find it, but if you don't know the name, it is impossible to find and (b) long, tedious textbooks that assume you have read them from beginning to page 638, because it relies on you knowing what happened on page 235 (although there is no cross-reference to 235), but, again, you have to know the name of what you are looking for.  So flailing about and asking questions on these forums has been my most effective method.

joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report