Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV2014: Locking distance between views in an IDW

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hfds006
651 Views, 4 Replies

IV2014: Locking distance between views in an IDW

I'm creating an IDW that will have individual small views of multiple parts.

I find myself doing at lot of rearranging view locations to fit as many parts per page as possible.

Each individual part will have a front view and a side view.

Here is my issue. If I move the front view up and down the side view follows it as expected.

If I move the front view left and right I then have to move the side view to match the new location. I hope that makes sense.

Is it possible to lock the distance between the views so the side view follows the front view in whatever direction it moves?

Thanks in advance,

Richard in Houston

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mdavis22569
in reply to: hfds006

I know you can Align them vertical / horizontal ... however I've never seen a way to set a distance. Especially since each drawing can have a different scale and be of a different area or amount of parts etc ... I think that would really be hard to set something up like that ..if it was even possible.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
hfds006
in reply to: mdavis22569

It seems like this would relatively easy to do. When the side view is created it's by default aligned with the front view. If you could then lock the spacing between the views that would solve my problem.

I will have to admit that in 10+ years in Inventor this is the first time I've had the need to do this, so this would fall in the category of extremely minor problems. 🙂

Message 4 of 5
blair

Harkens back to my old days with paper and the mechanical drafting arm and having to plan the drawing to get the views all evenly spaced. This might be a good one to post on the IdeaStation: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 5
Ray_P

I have done something similar By creating a sketch on one of the views. I cannot remember if you can project geometry from the other view and add a dimension or if I drew a line that was visible in both views and added dimension in the sketch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report