Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV2013 - Issues with Knurled Appearance

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tdswanson
874 Views, 6 Replies

IV2013 - Issues with Knurled Appearance

Hey everyone:

I've read a lot of posts about there being flaws with the 2013 appearance libraries.  After trying several recommendations from various posts and having no success, it seems that I either have a different problem, or I'm doing something wrong.

I've got a round part, diameter 1.25" and I'm trying to apply a knurled appearance.  The included-from-Autodesk appearance "Knurled 45" just comes out as a mirror polished surface.

So I searched and read a ton of posts.  I found some screenshots and even some videos of how to create a new appearance from a generic material and basically start totally from scratch and apply the stock BMP file to the appearance.

I could never get it to work after following the instructions very closely several times.  After experimenting some more, I found that I can't seem to make an appearance show *ANY* BMP files.  I tried turning all the knobs and choosing different BMP's and scales and could never get one to appear at all.

I'm guessing it's and AutoDesk problem that may be compounded by operator error.....  Suggestions?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: tdswanson

@tdswanson wrote:

..... I found that I can't seem to make an appearance show *ANY* BMP files.  I tried turning all the knobs and choosing different BMP's and scales ......  Suggestions?

Thanks!

I wonder if its your video card if you cant get ANY to display.  What do you have selected on the Tools>App options, hardware tab?  Click Diagnostics here and post the screen capture.

Message 3 of 7
4donwan4

This issue has been reported to Autodesk Development team. I would check to see when next update is released to see if this issue is fixed.

Regards,

Don

Message 4 of 7
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: 4donwan4

The issues with knurling really come down to 2 things:

Ensure that the size of the knurl texture file is appropriate in relation to the object you have applied it to. You mention reading other threads & watching videos etc, so I assume you know how to get to the texture editor to change the absolute size of the texture ?

If you have changed the size of the knurl texture file, then try viewing your part in Realistic mode, & that the Texture button is enabled.

Otherwise please send me a sample file & I'll investigate.

Thanks,
Chris

chris.mitchell@autodesk.com

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7
tdswanson
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Thanks for your help everyone....

I suddenly remembered that at some point I had gone into Application Settings and unchecked "Textures On".  So I changed that and then the ones I created started working as expected.

There is still an issue with "Knurled 45" appearing as a polished reflective surface.  However, the ones that I created myself from Generic Material (per the other posts on the forum) are doing just fine.

Thanks again....

Message 6 of 7
karthur1

@tdswanson wrote:

There is still an issue with "Knurled 45" appearing as a polished reflective surface. 

I see the same thing.

Message 7 of 7
-JvdZ-

Hi,

Well still an issue in 2016. When you choose the standard Knurled from the Inventor Appearance list and look at the Relief Pattern it says Type Knurl. But no reflection on my part. Autodesk send me an workaround to solve this by changing the Type to Customer knurled and look for the Knurled bmp. Of course this is a solution, but this is an issue sinds 2013, how come it is not solved yet?

The other options Diamond Plate and Checker Plate are working. Beats me.

Jaap van der Zwan
Consultant Manufacturing at Cadac Group MFG BV | NL
_____________________________________________________________________________...
My Screencasts | My Articles

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report