Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV2010 to IV2012 Graphics performace takes a huge hit?

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
edarlak
2414 Views, 38 Replies

IV2010 to IV2012 Graphics performace takes a huge hit?

We never got the opportunity to upgrade from IV2010 to IV2011 as we were too busy.

I built new machines while we were using IV2010.

Workstation Spec's:

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117242

MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131390

RAM (24GB): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139077

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133347

OS/Program HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167035

Storage HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792

When we used IV2010 on these systems, graphics performance was phenomenal!

As soon as we upgraded to IV2012, I'm sorry, but the performance is total crap, worse than it has been in many years,
especially on shaded mode with edges, which is what all of us like to work in.

I have the NVIDIA 275.89 driver installed, which is certified for IV2012.

The framerate in our assemblies in shaded wo/edges is bearable, but with edgeds on, or in wireframe, forget it,
it's unusable.

Anyone else having this problem? I mean, we're running Quadro 6000's...

38 REPLIES 38
Message 21 of 39
richiesuk
in reply to: Vlad.Makarov

hi,

as far as I understand the quadro 2000 is way slower than the gtx 580/590 in D3D

haver a look on this chart...

it would be nice to have some benchmark too..

can you use FRAPS os something else?

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html#

Ric

Message 22 of 39
gcook
in reply to: richiesuk

Try this, under Application Option / Display tab, under the appearence section, select application options, and for model edges, choose "Use Part Color" (as opposed to "One Color").

I agree there is a problem in 2012, but it seem to be with the display of edges, the shaded views are fast.  This setting seemed to speed things up.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Message 23 of 39
edarlak
in reply to: gcook

GeForce does not win for me, I still have the problem with a gaming card.

I built a new workstation for a guy here at work last week.

I tried two different cards, one from my gaming rig at home (GTX-460 1GB), and the new one I bought for the new Workstation (GTX-580 3GB)

Shaded with edges on still sucks on all accounts, on all computers be it workstations with Quadro, Workstations with GeForce, or my gaming rig at home with GeForce.

"Try this, under Application Option / Display tab, under the appearence section, select application options, and for model edges, choose "Use Part Color" (as opposed to "One Color")."

I have tried this and all other graphics options suggested.

IMO Autodesk broke something, be it Windows fault or not...  Win7 SP1 and IV2012 SP1, none of the service packs changed anything, neither did latest graphics drivers. 

Message 24 of 39
edarlak
in reply to: blair

"If you are running Win7, run a system performance evaluation: Start>Control Panel>Performance Information and Tools>Re-run the assessment.

Part of the problem is also with Microsoft and their move to DirectX11(forcing software venders to do the same) with Win7.

The only benifit from this, is we no longer need Quadro cards and OpenGL. A good gaming card will do. I have attached my system results to compare with your Quadro card."

I ran the evaluation.

Message 25 of 39
edarlak
in reply to: richiesuk

"can you use FRAPS os something else?"

I do have Fraps, but I can't get it to work with Inventor and show FPS like it does for games...

Message 26 of 39
Jonka45
in reply to: edarlak

I had the same problem with my upgrade from 2011 using Quadro 4000. I have made it better by changing the adjust image settings on the NVIDIA control panel/3d settings/adjust image settings with preview, from "let the 3d application decide" to "Use my preference emphasising :Balanced". Seems to have worked for me as it is now as good if not slightly better than IV 2011.

Hope it helps.

Inventor 2022 Proffesional
Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch
Message 27 of 39
edarlak
in reply to: Jonka45

Ok, I tried Jonka45's suggestion.  Still have the graphics lag, same as shown in the video I posted between shaded and shaded with edges.

Message 28 of 39
edarlak

Still have not found a solution to this problem. Smiley Mad

Message 29 of 39
AleXtc

Has anybody checked with GPU-Z wheather the videocard is being used properly?

I have an assembly with over 7000 parts.

Specs;

Win 7 64bit Ultim.

Intel Core i7 Quad 940XM

Quadro FX3800M 1 Gb dedicated

16GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333Mhz

2x 120Gb SSD in Raid0

Inventor 2012 Pro

When i rotate my assembly i get 1 frame a second.....

The GPU load doesn't go higher than 10% !!!!!

Memory load is only 400Mb with max load of 4%

For one reason or the other Inventor is NOT using the GPU......

Anybody else as well?

Message 30 of 39
mbenoy

Might be worth following up on the problem between MS and NVIDIA claimed in this link:  http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/ken/problem_with_windows_7_64b_3ds_max_2011_and_dual_intel_6_core_wes...

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Inventor 2013 Pro, Windows 7, 64bit
Intel® Xeon® Processor W3580 (8M Cache, 3.33 GHz)
12 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800
Message 31 of 39
AleXtc

Disabling prhighlight seems to give me a boost in performance. Nevertheless the GPU is still not being used more than 20-25%

( application options/colors/highlight )

Message 32 of 39
richiesuk
in reply to: AleXtc

my GPU usage is never higher than 50% even the frame rate is noticable low....

does not seem to be right... why is it not used 100% ?

3.2 Ghz xeon

fx 1800

Message 33 of 39
edarlak

I disabled the highlight, didn't solve my problem.

Great, so we're waiting for a Microsoft fix?  Don't hold your breath...

Why did Autodesk completely go away from the option of OpenGL in Inventor and force us to use D3D?

Not happy Man Mad

Message 34 of 39
sam_m

@edarlak wrote:

I disabled the highlight, didn't solve my problem.

Great, so we're waiting for a Microsoft fix?  Don't hold your breath...

Why did Autodesk completely go away from the option of OpenGL in Inventor and force us to use D3D?

Not happy Man Mad

afaik it was due to Microsoft when they announced Vista.

Well before Vista's release I believe M$ originally stated that Vista would only allow the use of WHQL drivers, so everything would need to go through them and be approved to work at all.  Due to OpenGL being uncontrolled and tweaked to each application this was a massive problem and pretty much a death-blow.  So...  before releasing the 1st version of Inventor to work with Vista Autodesk chose to swap over the DirectX to keep in-line with M$'s statement, and at the time it looked like ALL other OpenGL/cad software would have to follow suit - and Inventor was ahead of the curve.  By the time the opposition swayed M$'s hand to allow OpenGL Inventor was too far along to swap-back.  Or something like that.

At the time of the change an Inventor programmer explained a number of advantages of DirectX over OpenGL and a numebr of these posts are collected in the pdf:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ht3oodtyvua62pp

In all honesty it's a great move to be on DirectX instead of OpenGL - it's a more defined/controlled format and allows the use of cheaper gaming cards.  The only problem we have is other cad SoftWare still use OpenGL, so cad hardware vendors are still pushing OpenGL systems for use with Inventor (not to mention the greater profit for them when selling expensive Quadro cards instead of much cheaper GeForce).

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 35 of 39
edarlak
in reply to: sam_m

So after reading all that, ok, it can't be MS' issue?

It seems like the only thing left is bad Inventor code. Somthing changed from IV2010 to IV 2012 in my case, as I didn't run IV2011.

Are we just to wait for a hotfix/SP?

Has Autodesk officially acknoledged this as an issue?

I emailed a couple people I know from Autodesk about this, but it seems I'm being ignored.

Message 36 of 39
Jonka45

We only moved to Inventor in 2011 so I have no input from  2010 but the graphics are on a par with 2011.

I use it with OEM models of panel vans and some are over 1gb file size so just thought the slow down was due to the size.

I think that the fact that a 35 message topic has had no input from an Autodesk employee says a lot about the problem.

They will be too busy to fix this now, working on cloud based programs for 2012 that most in the UK wont be able to use with there 5mb connection speeds.... Sorry rant over Smiley Wink

Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch
Message 37 of 39
Jonka45

This thread is looking at performance if interested. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Benchmark-for-Autodesk-Inventor-2012/td-p/3213542

Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch
Message 38 of 39
edarlak

I recreated that test in IV2010, and compared it to IV2012.

My results are attached in a PDF.

I failed to label the horizontal axis of the graphs, but the 100-1000 axis is number of parts.

It's clear that IV2010 performance is exceedingly much better than IV2012 performance on the same hardware.

Message 39 of 39
shastu

We moved from 2010 to 2012 as well and are noticing the same thing on about 20 different computers.  Everything seems to be slower including trying to create drawings.  Very frustrating.  I hope a Service Pack will come out soon and address these issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report