Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV2010 - Showing limited number of hidden lines in a view.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dick_upton
304 Views, 6 Replies

IV2010 - Showing limited number of hidden lines in a view.

How do I show a limited number of hidden lines in a view without selecting the ones I don't want and turning their visibility off? Contrarily, Is there a way to select the ones I WANT to show in a particular view and turn the rest off? Without impacting the other views?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MCBUS
in reply to: dick_upton

http://www.screencast.com/users/CADGeeks/folders/Default/media/b8da7701-75d1-4867-bb47-42eb88fcbcca

If you set your filter to "Select Part Priority" you can select the part in the in the view. RMB then select hidden lines. This way you do not have to search through the browser. Edited by: MCBUS on Sep 30, 2009 10:24 AM
Message 3 of 7
JDMather

To turn off a large number of Hidden Lines in a single part view see attached.
The trick is to click on the Layer box three times (don't ask me why).
Notice that I preserve the hidden lines on the holes to the left while hidding the rest.

The method shown is for easy to window or crossing window select. If the wanted lines are close to unwanted lines then select all to hide all of them. Then right mouse button to show hidden edges and select only the ones you want and then right mouse button Done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
dick_upton

These are both excellent methods and can be used in conjunction or separately. Thanks for the input guys!!
Message 5 of 7
dick_upton

BTW JD, the classic UI doesn't require you to click the layer dropdown 3 times. Yep 66% less mouseclicks on this operation alone if you turn off the ribbon!! 😛
Message 6 of 7
dick_upton

MC, I was trying this technique and I believe there's a small catch-22 in that - in order to "see" completely hidden parts - you must have hidden lines turned on in the view. But then the option is also already then checked for the part. But when I turn off the hidden lines, I can no longer RMB / select the part in the grapics area. The bottom line is that some portion of the part must first have to be not hidden in order to select it in the graphics area with selection priority set to "Part priority".

Likewise when I hover on the parts in the browser tree, the parts that are completely hidden do not "light up", so I can't know which part it is of the 3,400 parts that I want to show the hidden lines without somehow knowing beforehand what part I want to show the hidden lines on. Another catch-22. This is demonstrated in the video when the guy RMB's the piston on the browser tree and is momentarily confused to find he turned on the wrong piston and shifts the video center to the one he turned on.

Unless I'm missing something, the technique is rather cool, but for real world application there are some WORKFLOW problems.

Maybe I'm missing something.
Message 7 of 7
dick_upton

Any ideas on a way to get around this seemingly catch-22 situation?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report