Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV11 Disappearing projected edges from sketch after delete feature

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
148 Views, 7 Replies

IV11 Disappearing projected edges from sketch after delete feature

Sketch on the side of a part. Notice all edges projected.
Extrude.
Delete extrude but not the sketch
Sketch is now missing projected edges
See attached video
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I confirmed this behavior and it is unchanged from R10 to R11. Need to find out more whether or not an issue needs to be logged. Thanks.

shekar
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

I submitted a support request 1-1034781401 before you replied.

This is very annoying behavior. It's happening on the part I'm working on this minute. When I edit the sketch, everything appears as it should. Even the Sketch Doctor says it's OK. When I edit the feature in order to select more profiles to extrude, I can't, because edges don't show thus no closed profile.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

IMO, it's not an issue and in fact, I've requested an enhancement somewhat related to this (based on ProE behavior). What it is is that any *unused* projected geometry is "thrown out" when the sketch/feature successfully completes. In ProE, it's called "References" and if you end up not using them, ProE drops them from it's list of referenced entities for that sketch.

In the example shown, those projected edges are used for NOTHING. Why save them if they're not used ??
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

That's fine. But it should be conistent. Don't show the edge projected edge lines in sketch mode if they don't contribute to boundaries when extruding.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Hi robtupa,

There are two things happening here:

1. AUTO-PROJECT GEOMETRY: If you check, Tools, Application Options, Sketch, Autoproject Edges for sketch create and edit, then you see the behavior that you attached in the AVI. I created something ver similar. projectuser.ipt. If you see Sketch4, it has only the circle. When you edit Sketch4, since this option is checked we are REPROJECTING the edges to the sketch. So, the projected edges were not there in Sketch4. When Sketch4 was consumed by Extrusion5, we deleted all the auto-projected edges from it. Therefore when you put the mouse in the browser on Sketch4 you only see the circle. This behavior is so because why carry unnecessary auto-projected edges in the sketch when it is not used.

I suspect you have this option checked.

2. MANUALLY PROJECT GEOMETRY: If you manually project the edges then you get the desired behavior (Use Project Geometry in the Sketch edit or create panel bar). Uncheck Tools, Application Options, Sketch, Autoproject Edges for sketch create and edit. I created project.ipt. If you observe Sketch4 here you see the circle and the projected edges. Here if you delete Extrusion4, and uncheck consumed sketches in the dialog that appears later, then the projected geometry is not deleted.

So, if you want projected geometry to be not deleted, project it manually.

>When I edit the sketch, everything appears as it should
Because we are reprojecting

>When I edit the feature in order to select more profiles to extrude, I can't
This is because the projected edges are not there in the first place.

>Don't show the edge projected edge lines in sketch mode if they don't contribute
Because of reprojecting we are showing it.

Did I muddy the waters more? Does this make sense?

Thanks.

shekar
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

> 1. AUTO-PROJECT GEOMETRY: If you check, Tools, Application Options, Sketch, Autoproject Edges for sketch...

In more than one training class for Inventor, the instructor's have almost always said to TURN THAT OFF. It's been mentioned in this newsgroup before to and questioned why this is on by default.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Shekar,

I have always worked with Auto-Project Geometry on. When did this behavior change? I just verified in release 8. It is how I remember. No matter if I edit the sketch, delete the sketch, whatever, the original projected edges remain and are useable in future feature edits.

Your explanation of "Autoproject Edges for Sketch Create and Edit" doesn't make sense. If what you say is true, each time I edit the sketch, the edges of the surface I'm sketching on should be, as you say, "reprojected" and therefore be useable when I finish the sketch edit and continue with the feature. They are not. Besides, the option is "Autoproject edges for sketch create AND EDIT" not "Autoproject edges for sketch create and edit then delete when consumed by feature"

I often change my mind after creating an extrusion and change the sketch accordingly. This almost always requires me to reselect profiles or add the new profiles to the selected set for extrusion. Things appear OK when I edit the sketch, all edges visible, selectable, etc. But when I edit the feature, there are open loops because edges are missing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report