Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV10 BUG - Part visibility is not maintained after editing in place

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Josh_Petitt
429 Views, 11 Replies

IV10 BUG - Part visibility is not maintained after editing in place

try this:

-create an assembly
-add some different parts
-make a design view and make it active
-turn off visibility of a part
-lock the design view
-double-click the invisible part in the browser to activate in-place editing
-Return

The part is now visible! This is very frustrating because I use in-place editing very frequently and this totally screws up my design views. It is also hard to remember to switch to the None design view before doing any in-place editing.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Josh_Petitt
in reply to: Josh_Petitt

did anyone from ADSK happen to see this? Is this as-designed?
Message 3 of 12
cbashor

Josh,

When you double click on the part in the browser, you are making it active. In which to edit that part it has to be visible and at the same time you are in the IAM. This is no bug.
If you wish to edit that part and maintain the visibility in your IAM, you will need to RMC and Open. You will not maintain visibility if you are activating parts in your IAM.

C Bashor
Technical Engineer
Advanced Solutions, Inc.
Message 4 of 12
Josh_Petitt

>In which to edit that part it has to be visible and at the same time you are in the IAM.

sure that is true, the bug is that when you return from in-place editing, the part should be made invisible to honor the design rep. Now it is possible to edit locked design reps just by in-place editing, then return.
Message 5 of 12
cbashor

When you made that part active you changed the Design Rep therefore you will need to turn the visibility back off.

A view representation is a saved assembly file display that is created by setting component visibility, color, whether or not the component is enabled, view magnification, and view angle.

When you turn off visibility in a design rep, your design intent is not to see it. If your design intent is to edit parts you should have a different design rep for that purpose.

As for the in-place editing, what do you want to edit?

C Bashor
Technical Engineer - Advanced Solutions, Inc
Message 6 of 12
Josh_Petitt

>When you made that part active you changed the Design Rep

yes, but it shouldn't have IMHO. the design rep is defined at the assembly level and shouldn't be affected by activating parts for in-place editing.

>If your design intent is to edit parts you should have a different design rep for that purpose.

yes, but you can still see it in the handy assembly browser. Many of my assemblies are driven by a master sketch, which needs to be edited as the design progresses. The "Default" design view has the part with master sketch not visible. However, it is MUCH easier for me to work in the Default design rep and just in-place edit the master sketch (by double-clicking it in the browser), than to be constantly switching reps when I am editing parts, or to Open the master sketch part and edit it without being about to view the main assembly at the same time (or have to mess with tiling windows).

>As for the in-place editing, what do you want to edit?

any occurrence in an assembly
Message 7 of 12
cbashor

>any occurrence in an assembly

Can you be more specific?
Message 8 of 12
Josh_Petitt

not really, the problem applies to parts and sub-assemblies within an assembly. I would like to achieve in-place editing without affecting design views (especially locked design views).
Message 9 of 12
R.Corriveau

I have to agree with Josh. It should be temporary. When I am done editing it should honor the rep.

Along the same line.
When I turn the visibility of a sub assembly off in a top level assembly, then back on I expect it to honor the design view rep I have assigned to it. I know I can expand it in the browser and activate the rep but that shouldn't be necessary.
Message 10 of 12
R.Corriveau

One more thing.

Why when I make a change to a view rep in a sub assembly it doesn't update in a top level assembly automatically? I have to RMB and select the rep again.
Message 11 of 12
Teun Ham

Strange, I don't recall having trouble updating Design Views...

Have you made the Design View of the sub-assembly associative in the main-assembly?
Message 12 of 12
R.Corriveau

No not Associative.

Associative is fine for simple design view rep's but when I have many I need to make it associative in every one of them. Heck even copying a view rep doesn't honor associativity. IMO there should be a way to populate associativity thru all the rep's or heck make associative the default then.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report