Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV Pro 2015 Stability issues?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
cbenner
610 Views, 18 Replies

IV Pro 2015 Stability issues?

Is anyone else out there experiencing stability issues with IV 2015?  All this week we have been experiencing random CTD's doing what should be relatively simple tasks, such as placing a fitting into a pipe line.  My coworker is on 7 so far today and I just hit 5.  I haven't ruled out local issues such as server problems.  I was just wondering if anyone else is having issues like this.

No, I have not been sending the crash reports.  In those I am always asked, 2 days later, to forward the data set I was working on at the time.  For 7 crashes in one day that would be a lot of datasets... that we can't share anyway.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
mcgyvr
in reply to: cbenner

No.... Seems really stable for me..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 19
pdxmcad

Chris,

The next time it crashes, send in the crash report and then let me know the resulting report number and/or the email address you entered into the CER dialog.  Having the report will give us an idea of what might be causing the problems you are seeing.  Without the report it's just a blind guess.

Mike Dickason
Inventor Development
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

Don't think I've had more than 3 or 4 crashes since May.
Message 5 of 19
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

No problems with crashes here, extremely stable.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 19
DarrenP
in reply to: blair

have you installed all updates for 2015
ii believe there was a update 2 that was just released

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 19
NathanLos

Hi cbenner,

Was Inventor 2015 stable in past weeks? If this problem just started occurring recently, it points to something like a network reconfiguration or incompatible hotfix being installed at your site. You might want to try using the System Restore feature to revert to an earlier environment. It's located in Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Hope this helps,
Nathan
Autodesk Inventor Platform Team

Nathan Los
Principal Engineer
DLS-Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 19
LT.Rusty

2015 on release day was more consistently stable for me than 2013 SP2 Update 5 is today.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
cbenner

Thank you all for the replies. As I said I was just looking for opinions on the overall stability. Trying to nail down whether the issue was software or network related. I've been away from the office, but I hear that IT has increased our available memory on the network and moved us to a different switch. They also moved SharePoint which was sharing the same virtual space as our cad server. So far things have been better. I will follow up once I return to the office next week.
Message 10 of 19
karthur1

There are some here in our office that have stability issues with their install.  Nothing repeatable, it just crashes to the CER at random times.  Could be during saving, printing, opening from Vault.... etc.  Sending AD a dataset would be useless since it happens at random times.

We do have the latest video drivers and Update 2 for 2015 installed.

I dont have an answer for them either and that makes it painful.

Message 11 of 19
blair
in reply to: karthur1

The greatest cause of instability that I've found with Inventor, is the lack of saving one's work on a regular basis. I don't work for more than 20-30 min without saving. Proper PC maintenance helps as well. Hard-drives are regularly defragmented and we reboot our machines every 2-weeks. All temp files and caches are cleared out on a regular basis.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 19
karthur1

Blair,

On our machines, they are turned off in the afternoon and started back up the next morning.  The hard drives are SSD's .... so can't defrag.

What temp directores/caches do you regularly clear?  Do you run a bat file to do that or manual?

Thanks

Message 13 of 19
LT.Rusty

Get CCleaner by Piriform. I'd give you the link byt I'm on my phone right now.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 14 of 19
blair
in reply to: LT.Rusty

cCleaner can be downloaded from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 19
karthur1

Do you let it clean out the registry also?  I have tried registry cleaners in the past.  The one I used cleaned out stuff that should have not been cleaned.

I just downloaded the freebie version and I didnt see a registry scanner/cleaner.  Which is probably a good thing.

Message 16 of 19
blair

yes

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 17 of 19
karthur1

Just ran the CCleaner.  Cleaned out 30GB of junk. Must have cleaned out something important, because now when I do a print preview in Chrome... it just hangs and does not ever show the preview. Uninstall/reinstall of Chrome fixed that.

Will see how it goes with Inventor.

Message 18 of 19
LT.Rusty

You can - and probably should - exempt some of the Chrome stuff.  I let it clean out histories, temp internet files, etc., but I don't let it clear stored passwords and some other things.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 19 of 19
cbenner
in reply to: LT.Rusty

To try to get this back on track ;)....

Our IT moved the CAD server to a new standalone server and bumped our memory.  Seems most of our issues were due to the fact we were sharing resources with Sharepoint... memory hog.  Much more stable now, but we still need to remember the old adage:

Save early - Save often!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report