Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV 2012 iProperties - Physical - Material

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Paul-Mason
696 Views, 6 Replies

IV 2012 iProperties - Physical - Material

1) Can new materials, like Gun Metal, Muzzy Bronze etc., be added to the iProperties- Physical - Materials list?

2) If so how??

3) Where can I obtain, hopefully FREE, addins of materials to add to the list.???

Thanks in advance

Yes I know big text, I've only got one bad eye sight

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Paul-Mason

@MASON.paul wrote:

1) Can new materials, like Gun Metal, Muzzy Bronze etc., be added to the iProperties- Physical - Materials list?

2) If so how??

3) Where can I obtain, hopefully FREE, addins of materials to add to the list.???

Thanks in advance

Yes I know big text, I've only got one bad eye sight

Those aren't materials..They are color styles.

Color styles can be added/copied,etc.. by editing your style library.

First make sure "use style library" is set to yes in your project file.

Then go to the manage tab, styles and standards section and click the styles editor button and from there you can create whatever you want. Make sure you right click on the new style after its all set and select "save to style library" (or you can hit the save button right next to the styles editor button on the manage tab. Then you have to open your template files and hit the update button (right below the save button in the styles and standards section of the manage tab)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
Paul-Mason
in reply to: mcgyvr

BUT I want tare he PHYCICAL PROPERTIE AS WELL for those metals, and others, not in the iproperties - Physical - Materials as well thats why I aske the questions :-

2) If so how??

3) Where can I obtain, hopefully FREE, addins of materials to add to the list.???

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 4 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Paul-Mason

To me you sounded like a drafter (non-engineer) asking about Gun Metal/Muzzy Bronze which sound like specific colors to me. I was not aware you were asking for red brass (C23000 alloy) and whatever alloy Muzzy Bronze is across the pond.

If you know how to add color styles then you know how to add materials..

The process is virtually identical. In the style editor right below the colors is lighting styles then materials. Add your two new materials, then save to style library then update your templates if needed.

Your question 3 is more or less no there is no general repository of additional materials,etc.... But its so simple (well for most people anyways) to add new materials that they just add them instead of hoping someone elses are correct. www.matweb.com is a good source to find the correct material properties if you are not aware of them..

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 7
mcgyvr

Like I said in my previous post I was not aware that Gun Metal and Muzzy Bronze are actually materials that an engineer would actually consider putting into the material list. In fact I can't even find out what alloy Muzzy Bronze is so maybe you can enlighten me for my own knowledge.

Being a mostly detailed person I would never put "Gun Metal" into my material list as it clearly can lead to confusion.

And seeing as how a google search for Muzzy Bronze did not yield ANY results about the specifics of that material I sure wouldn't put that as a material either.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 6 of 7
Big-Gordie

I used to post regularly in the old NTTP news groups but only decide to join today after I read the post in this subject, quite heated I'd say

But both of you have some valid points in your subsequent post to a point

Now as for the metals in question. Simply changing the color etc well that's not really much use in calculations is it? May be OK for aesthetic looks but that's about all.

METAL BRASS, as Autodesk have it listed, is the nearest available to the two copper alloys in the current list  BUT it is a totally different chemical make up than GUNMETAL and MUNTZ(Y) METAL now that will affect any calculations as to mass, UTS etc to some extent.  So the parameters in iProperies - Physical - Materials would therefore have to be changed, that is IF they can be changed,

Gun Metal is totally different to Red Brass according to Newnes Engineering Materials Pocket Book Second Edition and is also shown below.

GUN METAL

(Admiralty) Cu 88%, Sn 10%, Zn 2%

(Nickel) Cu 86%, Sn 7%, Zn 2%, Pb 0.3% Ni 5.5% (Um well there's looks to be a typo in the book for this one)

(Leaded g.m 83-3-9-5) Cu 83% Sn 3%, Zn 9%, Pb 5%

(Leaded g.m 85-5-5-5) Cu 85% Sn 5%, Zn 5%, Pb 5%

(Leaded g.m 87-7-3-3) Cu 87%, Sn 7%, Zn 3%, Pb 3%

Extracted from table 5.6 Page 93 of Newnes Engineering Materials Pocket Book Second Edition

Muntz(y) Metal Cu 60%, Zn 40%

Extracted from table 5.8 Pages 94 o 95 of Newnes Engineering Materials Pocket Book Second Edition

As for RED BRASS Cu 85%, Zn15%

Extracted from table 5.8 Pages 94 o 95 of Newnes Engineering Materials Pocket Book Second Edition

The UTS etc is in another table in the same section of the book.

Please moderators give credit where credit is due ie the book mentioned, mot me, so please don't take the mane of the book out I'm not a plagiarist.

Message 7 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Big-Gordie

Thanks Big-Gordie for the proper composition..

Now I know that "Gun Metal" is actually (in the US) classified under UNS C90500 and "Muntz metal" is classified under UNS C28000

Here are the physical properties for both.

http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=c90500

http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=c28000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report