Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV 2012 64bit running like a dog on MBP

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
612 Views, 9 Replies

IV 2012 64bit running like a dog on MBP

I'm at a loss here.  Mac Book Pro, Windows 7 64bit, GeForec GT 330M, 8GB RAM.  The fastest machine I've ever run.

But IV 2012 (and 11) runs like a dog on it.

See this video. 

http://screencast.com/t/z6zkOmFt

Not a huge assembly as you can see.  Now I try to open the welder as shonw.  Almost 30 seocnds to load this small part (whihc is technically already loaded into memeory since the assemb ly is open).  And it's not just this part.  Everythig takes forever to load.

It's not network issues as this was loaded locally.  And it's also not just my machine.  We are seeing the same thing on a few of our Dells.  It'll open 1-2 tabs fine but then the third tab will take foreve to open.

Most concernig is the "Not Responding" message I'm seeing (look at the top of the dialogue.)

Any suggestions?

-Sean

www.mcadforums.com

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hm a bit more inof to the mystery....

If I activate the sub to edit it in place it opens instantly.  If I right click to open it, it takes 30+ seconds.  So it is genertaing the new windows that is causing the issue.

Very odd... and frustrating...

http://screencast.com/t/YmuSodW3aOC

Message 3 of 10
alewer

It might be worth seeing if you can reproduce the behavior with the classic interface.  I wouldn't be surprised if you can't.  I haven't done it (yet), but it looks like you can switch back with a registry edit:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/2012-ribbon-missing-interface-change/m-p/3015784/hig...

If you change the value of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion16.0\System\Preferences\UIStyle\ to 1, I think you can get the classic interface back.

Message 4 of 10
Raider_71

Hi you dont think its a graphics related issue. We had something similar and after changing the Windows 7 Aero interface to the basic one with no transparancy it was much better. Worthwhile trying.

Pieter

Message 5 of 10
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: alewer

There is no Classic interface in 2012

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I haven't seen performance issues in my limited 2012 testing, and I open up huge assemblies (50,000 instances).

Are you using Vault? There was a SQL server SP problem that cripples performance. Things improved if you unloaded the Vault add-in. As far as that goes, one of the first steps to check for performance issues is to unload all of the add-ins.

Inventor only loads part of the component data when you open an assembly. When you open a component, edit it in place, etc. it loads additional data, so it does take some time and resources.

Is the welder an Inventor part or an imported body? If it's imported, you might try doing some body checks in the construction repair environment or open it in Fusion to see if there are flipped normals or some other unpleasentness.

Message 7 of 10
alewer
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

"There is no Classic interface in 2012" I know that the classic interface is no longer supported, but somebody successfully activated it (by accident)--follow the link in my post. As I mentioned, I have not done this. I'm holding off on installing 2012. It seems there are an unusual number of bugs with this release (dxf export, ilogic that worked under 2011 but not 2012, Sean's issue, etc) and I think I'll wait for SP1.
Message 8 of 10
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: alewer

Why Classic?

@alewer wrote:
"There is no Classic interface in 2012" I know that the classic interface is no longer supported, but somebody successfully activated it (by accident)--follow the link in my post. As I mentioned, I have not done this. I'm holding off on installing 2012. It seems there are an unusual number of bugs with this release (dxf export, ilogic that worked under 2011 but not 2012, Sean's issue, etc) and I think I'll wait for SP1.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 9 of 10
marshaltu

Hi,

I would like to get more information from you about the issue. I want to know how slow you open the sub assembly directly instead of opening it in the context of top assembly?

Could you please send me the dataset for more investigation? I can tell you the ftp address to upload.

Thanks,

Marshal

Marshal Tu
Fusion 360 Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
johan.max

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report